• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

all the good stuff is gone.....

Crackerjax

well i went to buy oil today and found out that shell took out alot of the zinc in rotella t due to the new emmisions for diesel motors....so what now??..... find a zinc additive? switch to royal purple? keep on trucking the the low zinc rotella? sigh

bassetdeuce

The newer stuff (CJ-4) still has zinc in it, just less. I don't know about the other antiwear additives like phosphous. TBN numbers are less, but with no sulpher in the new fuel it doesn't seem to matter much. If you want the older spec (CI-4), just run Wal Mart SuperTech 15w40 Universal Fleet, or the better (CI-4+) John Deere Plus 50 15w40 oil.

Keith_J

well i went to buy oil today and found out that shell took out alot of the zinc in rotella t due to the new emmisions for diesel motors....so what now??..... find a zinc additive? switch to royal purple? keep on trucking the the low zinc rotella? sigh

Rotella T 5W40 is still GTG for all flat tappet engines. IIRC, it has ~1200 ppm ZDDP.

Crackerjax

I add alot of clean UMO to my fuel when I fill up about 10-15 gal sometimes more when cash is tight.. I will have to do more research of 5-40 seems a bit too thin I dont know much all I know is that I have used 15-40 in amm my tractors and such on the farm and its worked well I like john deere oil I will have to check that out at well

thanks

Josh

Keith_J

The reduction of ZDDP in motor oils is more to do with warranties than with global warming fears. The US EPA has mandated catalyst life to over 100,000 miles. The zinc and phosphorous are potentially damaging to catalyst life. But in a diesel engine, oil consumption worries are much less because all operate without manifold vacuum. Without manifold vacuum, oil loss through valve guides and cylinder bores is minimal, the only real leak potential is turbine seals.

Crackerjax

"Plus-50 oil. So good it's guaranteed.
John Deere guarantees Plus-50 motor oil will meet or exceed the performance needs of diesel engines. Regardless of hours or miles, John Deere will pay for any damages (parts and labor) to your engine that are caused by an oil defect."

strait from the mouth of the horse .... I got me 6 gallons today....not cheap, but we will see how it runs...cost me $80 out the door

bassetdeuce

"Plus-50 oil. So good it's guaranteed.
John Deere guarantees Plus-50 motor oil will meet or exceed the performance needs of diesel engines. Regardless of hours or miles, John Deere will pay for any damages (parts and labor) to your engine that are caused by an oil defect."

strait from the mouth of the horse .... I got me 6 gallons today....not cheap, but we will see how it runs...cost me $80 out the door
Good stuff, always has been. Farm equipment is brutal on oil. Glad to see someone here break away from Rotello worship. :roll:

DieselBob

well I maigt as well give it a spin. Was going to change oil next week so as Crackerjax said "I figured if its good enough for a million dollar combine its good enough for a $2,000 truck."

Keith_J

The problem with decreasing ZDDP in oil primarily affects the flat tappet engines. All new engines made today have roller tappets, reducing the scuffing which ZDDP protects against.

Since most John Deere engines are off-road, one would assume their oil has plenty ZDDP but I don't know.

Remember, you can always get off-road oil and even some ZDDP packages to add to your favorite CI-4 oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks