• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison auto in a M813 ??

TheBuggyman

All,
Still on an information gathering exercise on my re-power project.
Does anyone have any experience with the Allison automatics in the 900 series trucks? Will it hold up to 425HP from my BCIII Cummins?
Does anyone have a tranny for sale or know a reputable dealer in used ones?
Any help is appreciated.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Will it hold up to 425HP from my BCIII Cummins?
Does anyone have a tranny for sale or know a reputable dealer in used ones?
Any help is appreciated.
The MT654CR tranny is only rated for around 275/700 from the specs I have seen on different Allison sites.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

hot rod deuce

I think you will need to to get some thing with a lock up converter. 750 series is a big box. Not sure if all of them are lock up converters.

Army Ed

only a question...im just asking please dont jump on me like ive seen in the past on the site...lol...but why would you want to replace such a versitile transmission like the 5 spd thats in it.I loveee those things.We had ZERO problems with them in Iraq in 2003.Its a damn shame all new military vehicles are auto's.I hate it....Again just a question

TheBuggyman

Ed, no jumping here!

Good question, several answers.

Torque input will now be 1,000 to 1,20lbs ft with the new engine, the old tranny won't handle it. I tried to tell myself that I would be easy on it to make it live, but I know better!:evil:

I also thought that it would be nice just to stand on the throttle and get that big truck to scoot with no shifting.

No one else has done it yet, climb that mountain!:wink:

Auto's

The 600 series MD Allison's at least the 653's didn't hold up to well in the industry we sell trucks to (refuse trucks). The 740 & 750 on the other hand were great transmissions and I have some guys who get 6 years out of them. When you look at the stopping and starting that a garbage truck does, an empty weight of 40,000lbs on average, typically putting on 12-13 tons for payload 2-3 loads a day and going into landfills getting stuck, etc. I'd say it's a pretty stout trans! The next series of the MD Allisons like the MD3560's were a vast improvement over the 600 series but they are also 3 times as much to rebuild!

We have one of our old Autocar/Volvo WX64 demo trucks equipped with a Cummins ISM with Jakes and an Allison HD4560 trans. Great engine/trans combo. The nice thing about an Allison is that you wouldn't have all of the clutch linkage mess to go through if you do a swap.

Andy