• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison conversion to ATF

turbinesurgun

I have a 932a2 and a m109a4. Both are due services and I want to begin the conversion to ATF. What brand hydraulic fluid do you guys recommend? I have some Kubota fluid that is supposed to be top notch but I want your guys input. Thanks in advance

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every thing I have read including quotes from the Allison folks points to the fact that they only want DEX III in that transmission! I looked at taking my truck to an authorized Allison shop in town where they would drain the converter and all the lines and refill everything with DEX III then drive the truck and make an shifting adjustments necessary after the fluid changes, I think they wanted like 800.00 to do the entire change. I might do it just have not committed yet?
KK

rustystud

Every thing I have read including quotes from the Allison folks points to the fact that they only want DEX III in that transmission! I looked at taking my truck to an authorized Allison shop in town where they would drain the converter and all the lines and refill everything with DEX III then drive the truck and make an shifting adjustments necessary after the fluid changes, I think they wanted like 800.00 to do the entire change. I might do it just have not committed yet?
KK
Do it yourself and save about $700.00 ! All you have to do is remove the oil cooler line that comes back to the transmission and put a hose on it and direct that to an oil pan. Then after you drained all the fluid and replaced the filter and reinstalled the oil pan, put about 10 quarts in the transmission. Then start up the truck and kill the engine after the oil coming out the hose starts to spurt. Then add another 10 quarts and do it again until you see clear fluid coming out the hose. Then you know the torque converter and the rest of the system is purged of the old oil. Then just fill to the proper oil level. We do this all the time at work. The transit agency once bought a fancy purger for our transmissions costing over $20,000 ! It never really worked right and everyone just went back to the old way again. Last time I saw the purge machine it was in the scrap container.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks