• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison delayed shift from 4th to 5th

sjohn116

Let me preface my question with "I havent yet flushed the transmission as outlined previously, from 15w40 to ATF."

that being stated,

When driving around the neighborhood, my m1081 has a distinct hesitation/delay when trying to shift from 4th to 5th gear.

2nd to 3rd is abrupt and crisp like everyone else reports, due to large difference in gearing.
3rd to 4th is uneventful, engine spools up, feels like it should be shifting into 5th, wait for it...wait for it...sounds like it shifts out of 4th. slips. and then goes into 5th
5th to 6th is uneventful
6th to 7th is uneventful

downshifting is uneventful throughout the range 7th->->->->->2nd

Have you encountered the same or something similar in your LMTV, and/or, is this a worn clutch in the transmission, a WTEC issue, or something else?

sjohn116

I havent yet checked for codes in the transmission; and the alternator is charging at 27V.

This weekend is already shot changing the oil pan gasket and filters, I'll try to address the trans shifting issue in the upcoming weeks.

Does the truck have to be running to pull codes, or can I do it with just the master switch on, engine off? Forgive me for asking, what is the protocol to pull the codes and where is the list/legend to "decrypt" the codes? Thanks.

You're right, I'm not far from you. I'm in 21791.

sjohn116

Speedo is smooth and accurate. Ditto for volts, temp, and air tank pressure.

Fuel is jumpy when driving, but I dont trust it to begin with. Probably have a loose wire somewhere in that circuit.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Fuel sender has a connection on tank that can come loose. The trans comp uses input from several sensors to determine when to shift. Mil trucks in general have harsh shifting. Was there any codes? The trans comp is very good at self diagnosing.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
21 23 bad throttle position sensor. Its a black box above the primer/fuel filter with a cable going to the throttle on the fuel pump.

sjohn116

my apologies: codes are as follows:

d1 21 23 = TPS failure (f12)
d2 45 21 = open circuit (f7)
d3 43 21 = low side driver (f8)
d4 43 26 = low side driver (f8)
d5 45 26 = open circuit (f7)

sjohn116

Got the new TPS, installed it exactly where the old one was positioned, and it required about 1/4-1/2" of cable to be pulled out (from the fully retracted position) to connect the TPS to the throttle body linkage with the cotter pin. Seems to me that the cable should be in the fully retracted position when the engine is in the idle position, in order to give the TPS a true ZERO reading. Is my thinking flawed, or correct? If correct, there looks to be a lot of adjustment in the TPS mounting bracket, loosed 4 bolts, and slide the assembly forward 1/4-1/2", until there is no tension on the cable at idle. Am I right or am I wrong? Thanks in advance. After I sort this out I'll clear all the transmission codes and see which, if any, codes return.

sjohn116

TM states "4 inches between throttle connector and the groove in the cable." Doesnt mention whether or not the cable is partly extended to reach that 4" Oh well...will follow the TM explicitly, clear out the codes and throttle count, and call it a day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks