• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

M920

Thank you for the vote and the endorsement Drew! This really means a lot, coming from a fellow "Transformer Builder" !!!!

I had to give my vote to 'jerseyhick' again....I just really love the way his creation looks!

Oh and btw, thanks for starting the 'MV of the Month' thread....I really enjoy it..... :patracy:

Soni

M920

Greetings from 'FEMTT JAIL'.....

Since the days have been getting warmer again and the mud is finally starting to dry, I decided to tie up some of the loose ends in the wiring of the FEMTT.
This of course involves crawling in to "FEMTT jail"....:shock: (The area in front of the radiator, under the dog house) lol

Back when I got the truck running, I could not make sense of the tags that I had put on the PTO wiring ten month earlier. So I just ran a direct wire to the electrically actuated PTO drive in order to be able to at least use the crane.

After recently forgetting to disengage the PTO and driving off, I realized that I really needed to hook it up correctly. The way it should work on the 'Allison M916' is, that it is supposed to automatically disconnect the PTO, if the engine exceeds 1500 rpm. This of course meant, that the transmission TCM had to be re-included in the circuitry.....:roll:

Well, after a whole day of messing around with it and more crawling into, over and under the truck then I ever want to remember, I finally got it to work properly again....

Here are a couple of pics taken from inside the 'FEMTT Jail'....lol

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

M920

First of all, I would really like to thank everybody again for giving me their "MV of the Month" vote and that it is a real privilege, to have been chosen by such an awesome group of MV enthusiasts!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! You guys have truly made my Month! :naner:

Now on a different note: For those of you, who might have wondered; no, I'm still not in the witness protection program... lol, but I would like to apologize for the lack of updates. I'm currently working a job in Texas, to try to help make some $$$, so I can start fabricating the different modules for the back of the FEMTT.

I have very limited internet access here, but I will resume this thread with new updates, when I return the beginning of April.... :)

Soni

Last edited:

Flat Black

Soni,

While I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, I would like to offer you a case of your favourite beer for a job well done.:beer:

I remember seeing your a Scorpion on a trail when you were still building them and they are still bad ass rigs IMO.

The FEMTT is hands down the coolest custom military rig that I have even seen. Looking forward to continued progress.

Cheers

Last edited:

M920

A FEMTT update!

Thanks Guys for the nice compliments! I have been really busy this spring and have not had time to update this thread.
I have made some progress on the FEMTT project though and finally found a moment for a quick update.

At the Military Vehicle Show in Phoenix Arizona last January, I had figured out that the front springs on the FEMTT, were for an M915 and not an M916-M920 truck!
With all the added weight they sagged badly and I had to replace them with the correct set of M920 springs. What a PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!!!

I'm also working on getting the first couple of "modules" set up for the back of the FEMMT.

Since I got lucky and was able to procure a hydraulic dump bed off of a military Oshkosh dump truck, I decided to make that the first module.

I had to shorten it about two feet in order to get it to fit on the back of the FEMTT.
The photos show it set on to the frame, to decide on the configuration for the ISO container twist locks (still on order after 3 Weeks!! :evil:).

I will also start fabrication on the "Fifth Wheel Module" right away, so I have the truck tractor capability back ASAP.....pics will follow....

Soni

Here are some recent pics:

Attachments

DrillerSurplus

Looks great!

I can't quite tell from the pictures if you had to space the dump bed up off the FEMTT frame or if the dump bed came with enough of a sub frame with the lift cylinder to clear everything on the FEMTT.

Are the twist locks you're looking for like this one? It's a little less than 7" long. I got a good deal on on a few at GL & am glad to share the wealth.

Attachments

Bighurt

September is drawing closer.

When you going to call that framer from the frozen north about that building project?

8)

M920

Looks great!

I can't quite tell from the pictures if you had to space the dump bed up off the FEMTT frame or if the dump bed came with enough of a sub frame with the lift cylinder to clear everything on the FEMTT.

Are the twist locks you're looking for like this one? It's a little less than 7" long. I got a good deal on on a few at GL & am glad to share the wealth.
Thanks for the offer Sir! These are the twist locks that are used to lock ISO containers together, (like on ships or railroad cars) so they will not work for my application.

The ones I have on order are the weld-on type, used to secure the container to a truck chassis.

Thanks

Soni

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer Sir! These are the twist locks that are used to lock ISO containers together, (like on ships or railroad cars) so they will not work for my application.

The ones I have on order are the weld-on type, used to secure the container to a truck chassis.

Thanks

Soni

Gotta love the willingness to help another here on Steelsoldiers! Makes for a great site to be a part of, ya know what I mean? "Pay it forward"
God bless,
Tony

DrillerSurplus

Thanks

Soni
I wasn't 100% positive what these were for, so thanks for confirming their use. I knew these were different than the ones on the MK18A1 beds that I have, but went ahead with the purchase since they went pretty cheap and I would be able to use them to tie these two shelters together. These were also from GL, both halves in one lot. I got them to make a little shop/dry storage in a yard by Seattle where I have some stuff stored.

16 x 20 shop shelter  1.jpg16 x 20 shop shelter  3.JPG16 x 20 shop shelter  7.jpg

NSN 5411-01-355-4322 SERVES AS A COMMAND POST OR MAINTENANCE--SUPPORT RELOCATABLE FACILITY. FULL WEATHER INSULATION;

Soni- I've really enjoyed your build thread on the FEMTT, lots of good ideas, great workmanship- sort of inspiring and intimidating at the same time. And I like that it's for more than just parades.

M920

I got them to make a little shop/dry storage in a yard by Seattle where I have some stuff stored.

View attachment 497665View attachment 497666View attachment 497667

NSN 5411-01-355-4322 SERVES AS A COMMAND POST OR MAINTENANCE--SUPPORT RELOCATABLE FACILITY. FULL WEATHER INSULATION;

Soni- I've really enjoyed your build thread on the FEMTT, lots of good ideas, great workmanship- sort of inspiring and intimidating at the same time. And I like that it's for more than just parades.

Wow....those are really cool containers! You can certainly use the connectors you got to hook them together. They will leave about a 2-3 in gap between them, when installed, so you might have to come up with some kind of seal for the gap.

Speaking of "...more than parades...." Here are a couple of pics of a motorcycle, that I had to go pick up for a friend today!
It was probably the most overkill operation EVER, but I was out in the FEMTT anyway and did not wanted to run home and get the pick-up and trailer....

It actually worked really sweet and fast! :beer:

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

Csm Davis

I wasn't 100% positive what these were for, so thanks for confirming their use. I knew these were different than the ones on the MK18A1 beds that I have, but went ahead with the purchase since they went pretty cheap and I would be able to use them to tie these two shelters together. These were also from GL, both halves in one lot. I got them to make a little shop/dry storage in a yard by Seattle where I have some stuff stored.

View attachment 497665View attachment 497666View attachment 497667

Driller I am 90% that I know those containers what was in them and how they go together call me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks