• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allow me to introduce myself

craig 379

Hello everyone, before i go any further i think an introduction would probably be appropriate. My name as you can see is Craig, I'm from North Eastern England, and own an '85 M1008. I've perused this site a number of times, though never really contributed, as although i have a bit of a mechanical background, most of you guys probably know way more than me about Military vehicles, so I've kinda viewed from the side lines so to speak. However, my truck has been giving me a bit of bother over the last few months - an issue that i cannot solve - and wondered if maybe you guys could help. I will tell you now that it will take a bit of explaining, though if you like a challenge, i think this will rack your brains a bit. It's racking mine anyway! Well, that's it really, i just didn't want to join up & jump in unannounced. So I'll check in again, and with your blessing, I'll tell it like it is! Kind regards, Craig.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome and greetings from the far side of the pond. You are welcome here and no matter what is wrong with your 1008 its nothing that someone on here has not seen.

craig 379

Hey hello everyone, i see i already have a few warm welcomes, and for that i thank you! O.K., for now I'll leave it at telling you that i have a very strange charging problem, that i think will rack your brains. Well It's racking mine anyway! I wonder however if i could ask you to check in over the next couple of days or so, by which time I'll have a detailed account of whats happening to my M1008 for your consideration. The only reason i ask, is that it's after 12.00am here now, and as i start work very early in the mornings, I'm struggling to keep my eyes open at the moment! I hope you all don't mind me asking this, and strike me from your good books! Once again, thank you for your kind responses, and i look forward to talking to you all again. For now though, I'll say goodnight. Regards, Craig.

3dAngus

A moderator could probably run an IP check to see if it is. It's not that difficult. I know for sure the administrators can, but not sure what kind of security or access priv's the mods have.

lavarok

Definitely trollish...OP could put in two posts...talking about a problem and neither of which provide any detail...really...

HOWEY

Welcome to the site craig from another guy that drives on the wrong side of the road. This site is a goldmine of information and helpful members that will steer you on the right path if your in trouble with your truck.

hole

1st post was to say hello, albeit wrong forum for that. 2nd post was to kindly thank those who had welcomed him, but it was too late to post in depth his problem. If his 3rd post doesnt contain his problem, go ahead flame away. Otherwise maybe we could not assume every new guy is a troll. For every actual troll that does pop up , there must be 100 who probably werent and never came back because his/her question wasnt exactly the way you thought it should be and was flammed for it.2cents

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Careful, it might be nvrescue...rofl:deadhorse:

Welcome to the site Craig!
HAHA!!!! Could be but not that likely. Craig says he's from England and his speech suggests he is so. Welcome Craig. If you don't already know, the Technical Manuals for your truck are readily available and they are (for the most part) written for the average man to understand. If you need help finding them, let me know. I have the Operators manual through the engine rebuild manual and everything in between. Out of curiousity though, how did you come across your M1008? Pics are always welcome as well.

Mike

craig 379

Well hello again from across the pond to everyone! O.K. folks - get comfortable, have your favourite drink with you, and try to fathom this charging issue! I did say it would take a bit of explaining, so here goes: I've had my M1008 for about five years, about four years of which it always charged perfectly, the volt meter needle always pointing to that little notch in the green area, just past the half way mark. The last year or so though, the needle started to progressively move higher in the green, then almost into the next bit, though everything worked as it should and it always cranked good. Eventually the gen 2 light would come on, anywhere from a second or two, to a few minutes, hours, or days. The volt meter would rise and fall in direct response with the gen 2 light coming on and going out. If the light was on for a few days, the volt meter would be low in the green, and cranking would be poor. When it come on again, the volt meter would read quite high again and for as long as it stayed there, it would crank good again. Then for a few weeks, the gen 2 light could come off and on in the same fashion, but the volt meter needle would stay high in the green regardless, and it would continue to crank good. It seems as though the volt meter always gives an accurate account of the battery condition, regardless of what the gen 2 light says. Eventually, i took the passenger side/gen 2 alt. to an auto electricians. It needed a new volt reg. I had no choice but to keep using my truck, and the gen 2 light remained on, volt meter low. Replaced alt., the light went out, and it started charging good, eventually in the high green. Went bad again, had it checked again, this time some diode had gone. This time however, whilst the alt. was off, gen 2 light also stayed off! Why this inconsistency?! Anyway, i replaced the alt. again, it worked well for a few weeks, gen 2 light has flickered a couple of times, but remains out, but the needle dropped into the low green again and isn't getting much higher really, and the rear battery needs charging every week or two. PHEEEEEEEEW!! Well guys, if you've read this far, i thank you very much and appreciate it greatly! So, what do you think is causing this? Craig.

Last edited:

Bighurt

Have you checked the fuseable links?

Gen 2 charges the back battery, either you have a bad battery and its killed the gen or the bad gen is killing the battery.

Do you have the -20 manual?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks