• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Almost blew the multi, Check your throttle return spring!!!

Massm35a2

Started the deuce today and she wound up like crazy, Good thing I reacted fast and got it shut down. Come to find out the return spring broke on me. I thought it was in good shape too! Hope everyone takes a few min. to check there spring real well.

rizzo

RE: Almost blew the multi, Check your throttle return spring

same thing happened to me on the 543. I guess I should cahnge the one on my deuce to be safe. It was only a few bucks for a new spring

JDToumanian

I'll bet that was a surprise!

If anyone is unsure what their engine governor's no-load speed is set at, it's easy enough to check... just slowly put the pedal to the floor and watch the tach. I can't remember what the exact spec is right now, but I'm pretty sure it's not more than 2800 rpm and in theory the engine can run like that - up against the governor - all day long with no damage.

So if your governor is set right, although you may need a clean pair of shorts, your engine should have suffered no ill effects.

Regards,
Jon

eddiec

the only ill efects will be the damage caused to the turbo and the engine itself from the excessive rpm , if the problem occurs right after the "dry" start. since it does take a little bit for the oil pressure to come up, there is not, ( in my opinion) enough lubrication to protect the engine if over throttled during the initial few seconds after a start.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Technically, there's still a protective film on the crank journals and bearings in the turbo. Cold, high RPM starts aren't good, but, that's what generator sets do every time they are excercised..supposedly once a month. I have seen at least 200 engines that have been in service a very long time and geting the proper once a month excersizing and there wasn't really much wrong with the bearings and the turbo was fit for re use at the time of the overhaul. These are started full throttle, making full power at start up. So, I guess once in a while, it's OK if it happens since these start with no load. But, it is a very scary thing to have something go WFO if yo're not expecting it!

Massm35a2

only good thing is that it was running at idle for a few min. first. It only took off after I pulled out the hand throttle a little to bring the revs up to 1000rpm.

m3a1_ht

"the only ill effects will be the damage caused to the turbo and the engine itself from the excessive rpm"

Sure, if it happens in the driveway. Had one break while accelerating from a stoplight while driving my M62 through downtown on my way to a local MV museum. Had cars in front and behind. It took a moment to come to terms, hook the pedal with my boot sole, and bring the RPM back down... then a bunch of fancy foot work to get me the rest of the way there. I had a spare in the toolbox. It worked out fine but it doesn't take much imagination where a runaway throttle, a 34000 lb truck, and traffic could make for some ill effects.

BR,
Dan

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Had a duece run through the motorpool wall at Fort Hood because they drove it in in low range with the broken spring and them mechs started it without checking the gear selector it climbed the chalks and took off