• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aloha from a newby

Dmoneygage

I want to know more about cost for the flatrack service.
To ship from Oahu to Maui it was a little cheaper to use the platform than to drive it one the boat. Should come in around $1600. I’ll know exactly when I pick it up on Tuesday after it’s been weighed and measured by Young Brothers. Trucking company has insurance registered with YB so they picked up the platform Friday. Yesterday the forklift set the platform on the ground and the truck was driven on, chained down, then forklifted onto the trailer and will be trucked to the port Monday. I provided a notarized letter and SF97 to YB stating the trucker could drop it off and that it was inoperable and for off-road use so I did not need proof of insurance. Transportation to the port is 400$. So I’ll be into $2000 for shipping cost.

Gongho has been an integral part of the whole process since purchase. After I bought the truck he:
-sent me extensive pictures
- during the release of the truck from Govplanet he did a thorough inspection and documented damage that was not in the auction photos or info. Govplanet made good on the damages
-he moved the truck to his yard, which is at the same facility Iron planet stores all the sold trucks
-did a bunch of trouble shooting
-sourced a used tcm after verifying it was bad by pulling one off of one of his 5 running trucks and installed the tcm
-got the truck running
-coordinated the trucking company lead
-forklifted the empty platform, loaded and chained the truck to the platform and forked the loaded platform onto the lowboy
-all for more than fair compensation
Thank you Gongho.
Man what a blessing it is to have help like that. I am not on Oahu so I have not even seen the truck In person yet

Tuesday I drive it off the platform and home.
Yippee

Reworked LMTV

To ship from Oahu to Maui it was a little cheaper to use the platform than to drive it one the boat. Should come in around $1600. I’ll know exactly when I pick it up on Tuesday after it’s been weighed and measured by Young Brothers. Trucking company has insurance registered with YB so they picked up the platform Friday. Yesterday the forklift set the platform on the ground and the truck was driven on, chained down, then forklifted onto the trailer and will be trucked to the port Monday. I provided a notarized letter and SF97 to YB stating the trucker could drop it off and that it was inoperable and for off-road use so I did not need proof of insurance. Transportation to the port is 400$. So I’ll be into $2000 for shipping cost.

Gongho has been an integral part of the whole process since purchase. After I bought the truck he:
-sent me extensive pictures
- during the release of the truck from Govplanet he did a thorough inspection and documented damage that was not in the auction photos or info. Govplanet made good on the damages
-he moved the truck to his yard, which is at the same facility Iron planet stores all the sold trucks
-did a bunch of trouble shooting
-sourced a used tcm after verifying it was bad by pulling one off of one of his 5 running trucks and installed the tcm
-got the truck running
-coordinated the trucking company lead
-forklifted the empty platform, loaded and chained the truck to the platform and forked the loaded platform onto the lowboy
-all for more than fair compensation
Thank you Gongho.
Man what a blessing it is to have help like that. I am not on Oahu so I have not even seen the truck In person yet

Tuesday I drive it off the platform and home.
Yippee
Welcome to the best hobby ever!

Dmoneygage

I got my truck shipped to me from Oahu to Maui a month or so back. The rear driveshaft was bent so bad like a banana. Guess they forklifted it at some point. The front was bent too. I had them both retired and balanced and just got them them reinstalled.
Got a few issues I need to address. The cab sounds like it's riding metal on metal. Has a nasty squeaking sound that's reminds me of my old dump truck. The dump bed rides on the frame metal on metal and has the same kind of squeak as my cab coming from the drivers side rear Of the cab. Any ideas on what it could be?
Other than the cab latch lock what else can I check? It seemed like one of the hooks was not all the way down on the pin so I lowered the cab more and it dropped all the way. But after I drove it a while it was back up off the pin a 1/4 inch or so. I ordered front upper cab bushings as mine are old and cracked a bit.

The transmission shifts kind of strange. If I hold a set amount of throttle it will shift a couple of gears and then it won't gain any more speed and seems to just rev a bit high until I give it more throttle and then it will shift but it feels strange. Downshifts from 3 to 2 and 2 to one are real rough. I intend on getting the motor oil out of the transmission and swapping over to ATF.

My front glad hand has a leak on the fitting that my finger is on.

I also need the dust plugs for my brake cage holes on the rear breaks and Napa no longer offers the RPT 1
that fits. I found a couple places that sell bulk but nobody wants to sell me 2 without $70 shipping. I'm in Hawaii.

Attachments

Third From Texas

1) You have an A0 truck, I assume. My A0 had a metal-to-metal squeak that was caused by the little rests on each side (not the latch, they are outboard from there about behind the center of each seat). You'll see a flat piece of metal with a notch cut out that rests on a short metal stub (they don't latch, just rest on there). I put a dab of grease on it every time I fueled up and that kept it quiet. You might see if that's the cause of the sound.

2) Honestly, that sounds normal for the trans. The shift points are pretty low-geared on these trucks. And the hard downshift is normal. A lot of folks swear by AFT. ymmv

3) The front glad hand covers are intended to vent. You may want to check the TM or ask around as to what caused constant venting (check valve stuck, etc?)

4) As far as dust plugs go, you can improvise. Anything between a square of duct tape and a rubber cork will actually suit the purpose. No need to spend $10 ea for those from NAPA (they still sell the triangular cover plugs Part #: MBI RTP1 ). Search around sites like Michigan Truck Springs for brake chamber dust cap ($.99 ea)

Dmoneygage

1) You have an A0 truck, I assume. My A0 had a metal-to-metal squeak that was caused by the little rests on each side (not the latch, they are outboard from there about behind the center of each seat). You'll see a flat piece of metal with a notch cut out that rests on a short metal stub (they don't latch, just rest on there). I put a dab of grease on it every time I fueled up and that kept it quiet. You might see if that's the cause of the sound.

2) Honestly, that sounds normal for the trans. The shift points are pretty low-geared on these trucks. And the hard downshift is normal. A lot of folks swear by AFT. ymmv

3) The front glad hand covers are intended to vent. You may want to check the TM or ask around as to what caused constant venting (check valve stuck, etc?)

4) As far as dust plugs go, you can improvise. Anything between a square of duct tape and a rubber cork will actually suit the purpose. No need to spend $10 ea for those from NAPA (they still sell the triangular cover plugs Part #: MBI RTP1 ). Search around sites like Michigan Truck Springs for brake chamber dust cap ($.99 ea)
(1) I have a 1998 M1078 with 225 hp 3116. I don't know but I think it's an A1? Maybe someone can clarify. Are these the hooks and the pin you grease. I was thinking that was where the noise might be coming from. It is loud and unsettling. I'll try the grease.
(2) I hope the atf makes a difference. I have never driven a truck like this but would prefer the shifting to be more smooth. I plan on trying to take a drive in a friends truck (1998 M1078 as well) someday to have something to compare to.
(3) I'll check the TM about the glad hands and figure out what the fitting with the loose fitting cap on it is and see why it airs down all of my air after shut down. It's probably loosing air while I'm driving as well, I need to check.
(4)Napa says they don't sell the blue triangle dust cover for the brake cage bolt hole. I'll try Michigan truck springs.Some sites sell the Napa ones for $13 plus shipping but it seems kind of high for 10 cents worth of plastic. For now I have duct tape but would prefer something a little more professional.

Thank you Third from Texas. I appreciate your quick response and advice.

Attachments

Third From Texas

Yep, that's the squeaky hook spot. Add a small amount of grease and see if that solves it (you need to re-apply often depending on use).

A 1998 would be an A0.

Yeah, you don't need the big triangular caps. The small round ones work just as well (so does duct tape, LOL).

Green Mountain Boys

Third from Texas is correct. These trucks shift hard. Make sure the truck is good and warm. It takes a while to warm up all that oil. Also, the shifts are going to seem harder when the truck is empty. Try it with a 2 or 3 tons in the back of the truck. It is quite different.

In2Fords

Glad to hear you got it to Maui👍
I just got back from 4 months out of state and today was my first day off quarantine.....
Out of curiosity, how much was it to rebuild the shafts? I need to do mine.......

Dmoneygage

Glad to hear you got it to Maui👍
I just got back from 4 months out of state and today was my first day off quarantine.....
Out of curiosity, how much was it to rebuild the shafts? I need to do mine.......
Here is the receipt. Alika at Power Train Industries Hawaii a division of Hawaii Driveline Supply knows his shit. I got both shafts retubed, balanced, and new ujoints on the rear for 772$ Very happy with the results.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks