• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alt 2 issues need assistance/advice

rlltide12

The pullys could interchange. Easy to swap. If the pullys are not your problem, the only other option I can think of is the resistor or a bad voltage regulator on the new alt.

And I would definitly go back to the other if the pully swap does not go as planned.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Update: I found a NOS 77mm pulley and it will be shipping to me this week. So, I will add it to the new alt and see if it fixes the problem. If not, Ill change the regulator and then go from there with next/other steps.
I should have my re-build kit from ASP, this week, as well and will re-build the old alt and then I will have a solid back-up, with either the re-built original, or the new, fixed unit.
I'll update everyone later this weekend with what happens and document the steps after I get everything here.
Until then, I'm going to put the old unit back on tonight and know I am not over-charging.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Final Update: I found a NOS alt, with proper 77mm pulley, from SS Member and vendor Hill Billy Wizard (Thanks John). Installed it on the truck, no more alt 2 light, at idle, no pulsing of light, it seems to have fixed the problem and is NOS alt as described.
Now, back to original problem with previously purchased iso-ground alt 2: John was also kind enough to send me an extra 77mm pulley, at no charge, with my new purchase of the NOS alt. (Double Thanks to John) After installing the new 77mm pulley, on the previously purchased new isolated ground alt, the pulsing of the alt 2 light stopped, so it was indeed the over-charge, using the smaller 66mm pulley, that was causing the alt 2 light to do the random dance when driving the truck. (Thanks Warthog, for the 77mm pulley info).
Now back to the original alt 2, that caused the problem, after purchasing a new 27si kit, from asp, I had it rebuilt and it too is now back in action, the regulator was weak and was causing the alt 2 light, at idle, to be dimly lit, even though it was putting out proper voltage, it was just getting tired. So, I have (2) back-up alts; the old original that has been re-built and the on-line purchase iso-ground unit that I added the 77mm pulley onto.
I installed the NOS unit from H.B.W. onto the truck as the permanent alt.
So, in closing, the alt 2 issues have been repaired, I have 3 new belts and I have (2) back-up units in reserve. Also, based on all the swapping I have done, over the past couple of weeks, I can swap an alt out in 15 minutes.
If you don't want to run the risk of buying an iso-ground unit, on-line, without proper pulley size or worry that it will truly be an is-ground unit, Hill Billy Wizard has 77mm pulleys and NOS alts. Suggest you reach out to him.
Thanks to all those that have helped me solve the problems, without the collective knowledge of the SS family, I would have been chasing this for who knows how long. Thread Resolved!

Last edited: