• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alt/charging issues

jag7720

I think I am having alt/charging issues.

My 1009 has been converted to 12V and I only have the right alternator.
My batteries are about 2yrs old and I use a solargizer for passive maintenance.

I put an after market volt meter in and it read about 14V fro a long time.... now it is pegged above 18...

Today I could not start the engine... it would barely turn over. It was only 34° this morning. I placed a charger on it to trickle all day and will see how it is when I get home from work.

I have a civi alternator from my 89 6.2L Chevy van... would that work? It that a bad option?

Can you still buy a rebuild kit and if so, rather than testing everything and replacing the bad parts.... can I just replace all the parts?

Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the voltage regulator has bit the dust.

Do you know if the truck was converted with the Rosscommon conversion?

Is your alternator still an isolated ground or has it been replaced with a standard alternator (case grounding)?

In theory you show be able to replace the alternator with another that is the same size.

The 1989 6.2L should be the same size.

Here is a company I use for alternator parts.

If the alternator is the stock 27si Type 100 alternator this is the kit for it.

High Output Alternators - Alternator Parts - Starter Parts - Repair kits - DELCO 27SI HEAVY DUTY REPAIR KIT

Post some pictures of the conversion andthe alternator and we should be able to help you figure it out.

jag7720

I don't know for sure if the Rosscommon conversion was used as I didn't do it... but after reading it and seeing how my system is laid out it appears that the Rosscommon conversion was used....

I always wondered why there was a bunch of extra wires on the left side of the engine...

I'll get some pictures tonight.

Thanks

Ken_86gt

Yes, a bad regulator can kill the battery. At 18V it is overcharging. The only way to know if damage was done is to test it. Charge with a battery charger and load test it. Many autoparts stores can do this for you.

jag7720

It was a bad two year old battery... Thanks for the help...

While we are here and to avoid starting a new thread... probably a stupid question, but all of the wires that went to the left alt... can they be removed? I'd really like to only have wires that are functional. Seems like the Rosscommon conversion would recommend they be removed rather than "tucked" away.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long are you going to keep the truck? Forever?

I would leave the wiring tucked away so when you sell the truck, the future owner can return the truck to stock if they want.

P.S. Your alternator is a stock isolated ground unit. If it goes out you can use a civvy unit in its place.

Last edited: