• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alt/ Power Steering belts.

lavarok

Install 3 belts. Here are the gatorback part numbers.

• Driver side alt - 15585 ( 58 )
  • Power steering - 15461 ( 45.5 )
  • Passenger side alt - 15495 ( 49 )

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figured it out ive been driving with out my power steering belt. aua

When i put the new one on is there an damage is should look for?
I bet that was some hard steering and MAJOR leg action to stop as the PS pump also runs the hydroboost brakes.

No harm done as the pump just sits there without the belt.

jj

The belt for the #1 alternator also wraps around the PS pump pulley, somewhat. He probably still had power steering and brakes, but a lot of load on the alternator and the power steering at the same time would slip the belt. Believe it when they say you'd KNOW if you didn't have a working power steering pump.

M1009 Fiend

Ok so is the power steering belt suppose to be a ##@$# to put on?

Ive been working on it for 45 min just trying to get it on, loosen all the bolts that would get the pump to move and still wont go on im thinking of going to get a belt thats 46 rather than 45.5.

Any suggestions?

CUCV85

Ok so is the power steering belt suppose to be a ##@$# to put on?

Ive been working on it for 45 min just trying to get it on, loosen all the bolts that would get the pump to move and still wont go on im thinking of going to get a belt thats 46 rather than 45.5.

Any suggestions?

There's a way to do it with a strap, if you try a wrong method you will screw up the brackets.
The most inner belt is a backup for the power steering and braking assist.
I cut mine off it was loser than heck.
I should have tightened it up with the adjustment brackets!
I never wanted to try to put one back on.
I have run mine for 3 years no issues with just the outer 2 belts.
I actually have purchased it years back and it sits in the cab under the passengers seat!
Great spot for it right!!! Be careful, I would search on this subject of power steering belt/backup
and/or wait for someone to chime in on this tread. Good luck and I hope you haven't messed anything up.

Last edited:

lavarok

There is one PS bracket bolt you need to remove completely. Slip it over all the way to the inside, then work it out on the pulleys.

When re tightening the PS bracket, use a pry bar from underneath and have someone up top snug the bolts. The pry location from up top will not give you a good fit for the belt.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you miss the bolt underneath the pump?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Lay under the truck and look up at the bottom of the pump. It is below the oil reservoir.

Bolt # 7 in the picture. Yup, TM

Attachments

Last edited:

M1009 Fiend

Ya loosened that one, nojoy.

So, not sure what to call the bottom most pulley, but what ever that is it has a slight motion to it.
What would cause this?

And could i make it 75miles on just the two alt belts?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lowest pulleys are mounted to the Harmonic balancer. If they wiggle, they could be loose, or the balancer could be loose, or coming apart. You had better look close and fix that, before driving it anymore.

jj

With the proper size belts as specified on this forum and in the TM's, i've found it necessary to remove ALL of the bolts holding the PS pump. I think there are four. With the pump completely free, i can thread the belt onto the pulleys, then push the pump into a position where the brackets get on the studs and the bolts can be started. A third hand would be helpful, but it is doable alone. When all of the bolts are started, pry on the pump to tension the belt, and start tightening the bolts. Hope this helps.

scottladdy

how do you know when you have enough tension on the belts?
Gates Krikit I v-belt tension gauge #91107. About $10 at RockAuto. Cheap enough to keep one in the glove box of each vehicle you own.

They also make one for ribbed v-belts. The Krikit II #91132 about $13.

The manual calls for 67 lbs. of tension on the belts after break in. I checked mine with my "calibrated thumb" [thumbzup] and thought they were plenty tight. I checked with the Krikit and found that they were at least 25 lbs. under tension. Pretty much what Gates says they find most belts are when set with the "calibrated thumb" [thumbzup].

I wonder how many loose belts are the real culprit behind the lazy alternator:?: :)