• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alt2 was charging and is now not.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Okay, Alt 1 was not charging and troubleshot it to a burned out Alt 1 light. Took out instrument cluster and cleaned all the contacts and checked all the bulbs. The voltmeter wasn't working or connected and the needle was way off scale so I connected it while I was putting the dash back together. Alt 1 light now comes on and charges battery.

Alt 2 was charging before I plugged the faulty voltmeter in. After I connected the voltmeter, at first the Alt 2 came on and flickered and got dimmer when I revved the engine, I shut the engine off and finished installing the instrument cluster and dash. When I turned the ignition on the second time, the Alt 2 light did not come on and the alternator is not charging. Is it possible that the voltmeter is shorted internally and blew a fuse or something and caused Alt 2 to not work?

Last edited:

Blood_of_Tyrants

Well, the bad voltmeter blew the fuse to the voltmeter relay. Disconnected the voltmeter and replaced the fuse but no joy. It appears that the Gen 2 relay is in the charging circuit. Is this correct? Should I be able to hear the Gen 2 relay click when I turn the ignition switch on?

Blood_of_Tyrants

Took the dash apart again and checked resistance from the main plug contacts through the bulbs and they were open. Took the bulbs out of the sockets and used 400 grit sandpaper to polish the tarnish off the membrane contacts and the outer bulb socket contacts. I used a emery board that I narrowed a bit to polish the inner contacting surface. Performed the same for the oil pressure light and 4WD light, Reassembled and now both alternators work like they are supposed to. As a bonus the oil pressure light now works.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks