• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternater Output under 20Volts - Suggestions?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a slow battery drain that I suspect is Alternator related. Batteries hold a charge very well, but loose power with runing time. I've been juicing them up with a box charger, but need to find the problem.

At idle, the alternator is only making about 20 Volts at the posts.

Any thoughts?

Kenny714

Had to go with a replacement alternator for mine with the same symptoms. Actually, had to swap from the original generator to a newer alternator with the adaptor kit. Took the generator apart for fun after the swap and the insides were toasted.

Jinx

FWIW mine puts out 24.5 volts when the truck is running. Definitely something wrong with your alternator.

Isn't there a way to adjust the voltage output on the deuce alternator? Maybe someone here knows...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the input to date.

Fortunately, the truck came with LOTS of spares, including 3 stock alternators. I'm told one spare was D.O.A., but will have all three tested prior to investing my time in the swap process.

The alternator that's got the low output is NOT stock, but is a "high output" that was needed for the multitudes of lights on her when she was a firetruck. The stock alternators didn't have the Umph to make it all glow in the dark (hence the one "fried" spare).

Updates to follow as available..............

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is a allen head plug on alternater take it out and down in that hole is the adjuster for increase or decrease voltage its on the side to the rear
WOW --- FIVE+ years since the last post and this thread suddenly gets resuscitated. All the input is good. Don't get me wrong.
Thanks for the allen plug suggestion.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't mean to seem harsh. I am just sometimes amazed that some threads - trains of thought if you will - sort of run their course after a while. Then, someone searching out their own needed answers stumbles upon a dormant thread and either contributes new wisdom or simply makes their mark as having read a tidbit of value.
Waxing philosophically, I find this a curious bit of human nature. Who would have thought that a GREEN IRON website would be such a case study for man's intellectual activity.

Glad the thread proved useful to you and that you saw fit to leave some wisdom that you had harvested and wished to share. THANK YOU :goodjob:

Last edited:

rustystud

it is the duty of mankind not to keep knowledge hidden as wisdom will prevail its self from it . but hey thanks I understand keeping it alive
Nothing wrong bringing back a good thread. After I had finished ready all the old threads a few years ago I would see new questions that had been answered years ago and then buried by lack of use. Especially between 2008 - 2010. There was a lot of good information given then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks