• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative fuels in the Multi-fuel Deuces

UH1Huey3113

I'm curious here. This has probably been answered once before but I haven't found the thread yet. Because of fuel prices, can the Multi-fuels run on alternative sources like Bio-diesel, vegetable oil, or any other odd sources you may have heard of? Is there ways to convert them to run on these if they need to be? Also, can the fuel injection system be adjusted to lean out fuel consumption?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The multi-fuel will digest stuff that would make ordinary diesels choke.

There are a ton of threads on the subject and will make for hours of reading.

I run a mixture of Waste Motor Oil, Waste Vegetable Oil, straight diesel and some regular gasoline to thin it out.

goldwing2000

Banned
Oh, and to answer your second question about fuel mixture, diesel engines don't run on a stoichiometric mixture like a gas engine. More fuel simply equals more power (and more heat), regardless of air/fuel ratio. If you turn down (or lean out) your injection pump, you'll simply have less power. The easier method to do that is to just not push so hard on the loud pedal. Or put a block under the pedal, if you don't trust yourself. Same effect.

x-ray

I like to run a mix of diesel and clean oil from recovered transformers (Late Mfr) Its a very thin colorless mineral oil in the units I get - so clean it looks like a bucket of water. Also have used recovered hydraulic oil.

I see the advantage of these oils versus WMO is they are not run at high temps and don't get that dirty (metal shavings, etc.). Mix with diesel and have no probs as of yet.

mattR

Biodiesel is derived from vegetable oils and animal fats. It usually produces less air pollutants than petroleum-based diesel. Some go with regular biofuel or electricity, while others opt for the peculiar. Here are just a few odd things people put in their car's gas tank. Some are efficient under the right conditions, while others are not. Here is the source: Alternative Fuels Gas Tank.