• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative to D51R Optima on MEP-802A

rcamacho

I have one bad 51 that may not be recoverable on the AGM charger. This one is ridiculously over priced. Any alternative more reasonably price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a group 51 agm available but be aware it has little tiny posts for a disgusting prius. I bought one at NAPA, didn’t really look at it until I had it in the store parking lot, ah no. Back it went.

Last edited:

Ray70

I also use regular 51R batteries, usually Napa Legend's but I have several customers who have experimented with the small 280-300 CCA ish' garden tractor batteries with decent success ( if anyone is on a tight budget )
You can get them as cheap as $39 sometimes.
They have the flat terminals with a bolt hole through them, but they remove the battery cable bolt, slip the terminal on the battery between the 2 flats on the battery cable and reinsert the bolt through the cable and battery post and viola! Cheap battery installed!
However, I have my doubts these will last anywhere near as long as a good AGM, but for anyone in a financial bind it is a cheap option that can buy you a couple years....

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also use regular 51R batteries, usually Napa Legend's but I have several customers who have experimented with the small 280-300 CCA ish' garden tractor batteries with decent success ( if anyone is on a tight budget )
You can get them as cheap as $39 sometimes.
They have the flat terminals with a bolt hole through them, but they remove the battery cable bolt, slip the terminal on the battery between the 2 flats on the battery cable and reinsert the bolt through the cable and battery post and viola! Cheap battery installed!
However, I have my doubts these will last anywhere near as long as a good AGM, but for anyone in a financial bind it is a cheap option that can buy you a couple years....
as a short term warm weather battery they will probably do okay. They definitely won't last as long as a quality AGM battery, but as you said, it's a budget option, and I'd only use them if nothing better was available.

In cold weather the output of the battery goes down and the cranking difficulty goes up, so having something bigger is definitely better.

For comparison, I recall RWH over in the HMMWV forum saying he's even seen the lawnmower batteries being used in a HMMWV that came into his shop for work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks