• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Capacitor M1008

Abbylind

Ive looked around and I cant finrd a difinative answer for my M1008. The alternator on the the drivers side is for 12v, the alternator on the passenger side is isolated and produces 24v (12+12) for the second battery. I have an "alternator whine" on my communications equipment mounted in my truck (noise varies with engine RPM) Im very versed on vehicle RF generated noise so I know its the alternator. When I examined the rear of both alternators I find 1 capacitor on the 24 volt alternator but none on the 12v (drivers side) My internet readings seem to show the capacitor on the 12v side but none on the 24v alternator. Could they have put it on the wrong side or are their 2 of them (1 per alternator)?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both are 12v alternators. According to the wiring diagrams, only the passenger alternator has the exterior capacitor. Most of the trucks I have seen are missing that capacitor.

Is your equipment 12v or 24v? The military radios are 24v so the capacitor was installed on the 24v passenger side.

You can install one on the driver side to see if it solves your issue.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought they all have a capacitor inside them.

I believe all the ones I have rebuilt have had one inside as well.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shown here

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The above pic is not from the -34P, but it is shown there as well. Part number, 1978146.

Google, 1978146 capacitor

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the actual page from the TM.

Of course, the next page has the GM/AC Delco part numbers.

Attachments

Abbylind

Search Results of Available Items
*Prices are Per Unit
Page 1: 1-1 of 1 items

[HR][/HR][h=2]1978146 - CAPACITOR[/h]
GM PART # 1978146
CATEGORY: Eng Asm (shipped only to local UPS hub 4 pickup)
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00

List Price:$10.74
Price:$5.48
You Save:$5.26 (49%)
DESCRIPTION: CAPACITOR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks