• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator conversion Kit

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Besides Wolverine, who took my money 2 months ago, and won't answer phone calls or emails, who else sells a 24-volt alternator conversion kit for my A2 Deuce?

Thanks for your assistance.
DHennon

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a 21si alternator, an 830279 delco 2-groove pulley, and fab up a simple bracket to support the rear of the alternator (check for write ups on this site). It’s basically plug and play if you already had the military alternator using a single wire. If you have the old type generator then you need the newer style lower bracket, which I have a bunch of, and you’ll need to do some wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. What is your cost to me for the newer-style lower bracket. I'm in Longwood, FL 32750? DO you accept PayPal?
2. Can I buy the alternator at any parts house? Pulley as well?
3. Do you have a wiring diagram for the install?

I appreciate you for the info and assistance
dhennon

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a part # for the alternator? It would need to be 24V as I am replacing the existing, original 24 volt generator
dhennon

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s only a 40 amp alternator, probably ok on a deuce with the limited amount of electric items on it, you may notice issues driving at night with the heater on. Stock alternator is 60amp.

Any 21si alternator will work. There are plenty of aftermarket (China) ones out there, $150-200. For a delco-remy you’re looking around $300, but USA made for the most part. You can special order these most parts suppliers like autozone, oreilly, carquest, napa. They usually don’t come with a pulley because most things that take this alternator have a variety of pulley configurations, serpentine, single groove, dual, triple. You need the pulley I sent you on the last message.

I can get you as many of those brackets you will need, $20 each plus $15 shipping. You only need that if you have the old style “bullet” generator with the big cannon plug.

As for wiring, you cap off the exciter wire, and connect the “B” wire to the single post, the larger wire. Run a ground from the ground terminal or the case itself to the frame, there is one there already on your old one. Don’t have the number for the B wire off hand. Simple.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search "21si alternator" on ebay. Several come up around $130 with free delivery.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
DHennon ,

Sadly Wolverine is a fairly known problem supplier of alternators and alternator parts. (Not a Vendor here!)

There are at least a half dozen negative threads about them (him?). Several folks have gotten product that worked - but many more that have not - at least here.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a 21si alternator, an 830279 delco 2-groove pulley, and fab up a simple bracket to support the rear of the alternator (check for write ups on this site). It’s basically plug and play if you already had the military alternator using a single wire. If you have the old type generator then you need the newer style lower bracket, which I have a bunch of, and you’ll need to do some wiring.

Found this on ebay., $119.00, free shipping. Will it work and can I use your bracket and pulley recommendation?
New Alternator 24 Volt 21 SI SAE Terminals Replaces Delco 1117915
dhennon

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this on ebay., $119.00, free shipping. Will it work and can I use your bracket and pulley recommendation?
New Alternator 24 Volt 21 SI SAE Terminals Replaces Delco 1117915
dhennon
Thank you! Let me know how much for the 2 groove pulley, and 2 brackets are with shipping. I will use PayPal if you accept this form of payment.
I will send you my shipping address under separate cover.

Thank you,
dhennon

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lower updated military bracket I have, I’m out of town now but can get you one shortly. The upper you will have to make, easily enough. The pulley you will need to find I don’t have that, just look up 21si 2 groove pulley. They’re like $20.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lower updated military bracket I have, I’m out of town now but can get you one shortly. The upper you will have to make, easily enough. The pulley you will need to find I don’t have that, just look up 21si 2 groove pulley. They’re like $20.

Send me what you have and how much. Do you accept PayPay? I presume you can provide directions on fabricating the bracket you don't have. I ordered a 2 groove pulley #211507 for a Delco 21Si 24v alternator I ordered. The pulley was was $24.95.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to gear-report.com. I have an article there on what to buy and how to install. I sourced 24v alt from amazon and parts from hardware store.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is how I did it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks