• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator for MEP802

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ebay has them once in a while. There was one for sale for ~225 on it a few weeks ago, and it was re-listed, so it might still be on that site.

BUT, if you buy that one or any other alternator without a pulley, you will still be stuck with the task of finding a pulley. That could be much harder than finding the alternator.

If it was me, I'd be trying to get a complete used alternator. Even if it needed repair it might be easier to deal with that than trying to get new. The regulators on those alternators come off easily and are fairly easy to get and they're cheap.

good luck

z

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I have the alternator its just bad. The rectifier assembly is bad and the stator is rubbing. I figured it would be cheaper to replace than rebuild. I was looking at single wire alternators but I've not found dimensions to be confident in a substitution.

Edit - Sorry for the typos. Phone keyboards are a bit small for my fingers.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch. $200 for an alternator. I think I'll repair this one. It looks like all I need are the rectifiers.

20150322_103607a.jpg20150322_103615a.jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the diodes on the negative ring are OK. One of the diodes on the positive ring is OK. It looks like there was an assembly error with two of the diodes on the positive ring being installed upside down.

The triode assembly checked ok too.

The stator tests OK on continuity as well.

Now to find some diodes.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone wants to rebuild their own alternator here are the part numbers and prices I was quoted for the rectifier parts:

Positive Rectifier - 0180000G98S $13.76

Negative Rectifier - 0180000F83S $5.83

Diode TRIO Assembly - 0144300F16S $5.60

It will take some soldering to install these parts.

I'm hoping the regulator is OK.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rectifier ring arrived today. After soldering it in and putting the alternator back together it charges.

Dont be afraid to replace some parts instead of buying a whole alternator. Or send it to me to fix. ;)

Oh, the positive ring includes the diode trio as I found out today when I opened the box.

dstang97

I know this is an old thread but I'm having a issue with my alternator. I need to verify its the correct one, bit my problem seems to be that someone was in there before me. The studs the wires attach to need to be 180* the block on the back of the alternator is hitting the studs for the starter. I have never messed with an alternator before but does it seem like it would be ok if I turned it 180*

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can take it apart and rotate the two halfs so the rear lines up better. Been there done that on one I was working on.

Take me your time and you'll see it's not bad to work on.

dstang97

Ok cool I wasn't sure. So genius decided to put rtv on the studs to create an isolator. I knew something was not right. Can you also do me a favor and measure the spacer on the lower bolt. Mine is 1/2 inch or so. I have a very molested unit and trying to work out the kinks

Guyfang

Staff member
The first time I saw an alternator installed like that, I just sat down and died. How could anyone install it, and not see that it's just simply, wrong. Then a CECOM guy told me that indeed, there is some obscure piece of equipment in the army, that needs that alternator, in that configuration. BUT, it has another NSN. And at times, supply clerks, in their "uninformed state", (I loved it when he used such nice phrases to indicate stupidity) thought, an alternator, is an alternator, looks the same, must be the same. Then gave it to an "Uninformed" mechanic to install.

Guyfang

Staff member
Wait a minute. Look at figure 4, sheet 2 0f 2, and tell me which item number you want to know about. I may have a way to tell you what size it is.

dstang97

Dissected the alternator this morning. I'm not sure why I was scared to do it. Very simple job. I took pictures of it before assembly just in case. Got it spun around and all back together. Thanks guys

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks