• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator full fielded. Help

CanadianAR

Was putting that other disaster hmmwv back together today, and had driven mine over.

went to go home, turned on my lights, all LED, all proper and correct. As I went to drive they flickered rapidly and went out. So I stop and they came back. Idling the volt gauge was in green but any rpm above idle put It into the red and over Volted the lights. I have a 60a alternator without modification. Engine was new with truck rebuild on 2007.

Is there something that needs adjustment? Or do I just order an alternator?

Thanks Guys

CanadianAR

I’ve concluded there’s no adjustments. Seems like straight hook ups. I cleaned the contacts, but here’s my main issue……half way home it started working normally…..wtf.

it’s it’s a sign of the alt failing I’ll just order one.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve concluded there’s no adjustments. Seems like straight hook ups. I cleaned the contacts, but here’s my main issue……half way home it started working normally…..wtf.

it’s it’s a sign of the alt failing I’ll just order one.
The regulator on the 60A is well known to fail in this way, can go back and forth charging OK, not at all to wide open, usually ending in a no output state.
Most replace the reg. and brushes or upgrade to a 200A system, that option is getting pretty pricey though.

CanadianAR

Thank you! As I suspected,

I do not want a 200a. It’s too big, I use little amperage for my LED lights, then it’s the blower motor and fuel pump, gauges. I don’t think you could run a simpler system. 3 speed. No electrical add ons other than a license plate light which is LED. Plus less stress on the mountings.

I guess I’ll just order an alternator from hummerpartsguy.

Rebuilding mine may be a winter project. Summer here is short enough so don’t wish to lose time.

BLK HMMWV

I have a take out 24 volt 100 amp laying around some place. I have at least 2-3 spare regulators for it too
It was on my old 6.2 when I pulled the power pack and upgraded to the 6.5 na ,4l80e, 242 set up .
I got no idea what a fair price is for it .

CanadianAR

I have a take out 24 volt 100 amp laying around some place. I have at least 2-3 spare regulators for it too
It was on my old 6.2 when I pulled the power pack and upgraded to the 6.5 na ,4l80e, 242 set up .
I got no idea what a fair price is for it .
Appreciate the offer, but I already ordered a new one. I tend to just go full send, summer is short here, so want limited downtime. Haha