• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator help

mcmud

My alternator burned up a few days ago. I looked into getting it rebuilt and was curious about the reliability of it then. I would also like to bump up the output if possible too. I found a few kits and what not online, I was just curious what everyone has done that has had this problem. I also found a conversion to add a second alternator on to run a 12 v system as well to easily add cb's, lights, etc. Any input would help!! Thanks.

74M35A2

The original alternators have marginal quality, even after a rebuild. The above mentioned Delco conversion will likely prove to add some reliability and at a much lower cost, so as long as you are not going for originality, it could be a win-win.

Depending on what you want for a 12V system, yes you could also add a 12V alt, or even add a second 24V alt to increase available current at idle and overall. Depends on your intended load usage.

74M35A2

As another option, it is likely just the regulator portion that has failed. I have yet to do it, but if this is the case, you should be able to test this by supplying 24V directly to the alternator rotor momentarily via the brush wires (one will be ground, one will be +24VDC), and see if charging is restored. If so, you can purchase and install a Delco 24V regulator for very low cost to get your original unit back to operational. A regulator is just a FET type transistor, which is just a fast switch. It turns current on and off to the alternator rotor to set the output voltage to a desired target, based upon load demand.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My alternator has always worked fine even though it does not look the best. While I was working on it a while back, I noticed the exciter wire that supplies 24 volts to the alternator was about to break off. It was only holding by two strands or so. It is amazing it was still holding. That would be another thing to look for. Make sure you have power going to your alternator. Without it, it will not charge. It’s good to check the simple things first if you haven’t already.

Last edited:

74M35A2

My alternator has always worked fine even though it does not look the best. While I was working on it a while back, I noticed the exciter wire that supplies 12 volts to the alternator was about to break off. It was only holding by two strands or so. It is amazing it was still holding. That would be another thing to look for. Make sure you have power going to your alternator. Without it, it will not charge. It’s good to check the simple things first if you haven’t already.
If it was your 12V alternator, then the frayed wire fault was probably from the hacker that installed it, since a 12V alternator is not stock. :driver:

mcmud

I ended up going with the wolverine technologies alternator. I was talking to the guy and said he uses the delco 21 and 22, best pieces of both and makes them that way. I tried calling spider marine and they hung up on me twice. I spent more and for a better product overall. I looked into getting it rebuilt and from what I understand now, these are fairly unreliable being 40 year old technology. The one from wolverine is a higher output and if something does break its easily fixed under warranty. They are also in the process of making a bracket hold a secon alternator to run a twelve volt system as well in the truck! I asked around if mine could be rebuilt and th general answer was no, the. Regulator was all burnt and more than likely it was burnt up internally like my friends did as well. I'll post pictures when I get the other one installed. Hopefully this weekend!

ralph3162

Dual Alternator.jpgmy OEM alternator burned out twice so I installed this kit for the same price a a single OEM alternator. 12v & 24v with way higher output and cheaper to replace if they ever go bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks