• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator install on M1009

badassissimo

Ok..... I've been trying to get my m1009 running since February. It took some time to buy an alternator and then I later found out I needed stock brackets to mount one or both. I now am faced with the problem of mounting the alternator. I had bought an alternator from oreillys that is 108 amps. It seems to have a shank on the case for a bolt to slide through and mount to the engine. With the brackets in place, they don't line up. I thought about just mounting it with one bracket and then taking the bolt and just using a space to make it work but I think the belt would not adjust right and I would only have more problems. Can anyone provide pictures of their alternator or alternator and brackets? I was helped a lot and I mean a lot by transman when he sent me brackets with the bolts wired where they go. I just need to find an alternator that fits or save for a cucv alternator and know how it fits on there.

Second part, this same alternator has a plug on it and I can't find it anywhere on the truck. My c10 has a different plug so I can't be sure it goes to the same place through the firewall or works the same way. Do I even need a plug? Oreillys says yes or it won't work. Would a CUCV alternator have a plug? I'm hoping some pictures will help because I can at least show them to the sales associates at Oreillys and get the right plug even if they don't have the right alternator.

Thank you for looking and please let me know if you have suggestions.

Crash_AF

Well, are you making the truck 12 or 24V? That's the first question we need to know.

Second, what application did you request when you got the alternator from O'Reilly's? That alternator will not work with the CUCV 24V system on the passenger's side, it will cause a direct short to ground and fry things.

There is a 2 prong plug on the top of the alternator along with the load wire and ground wire. These are required for the alternator to work properly.

The correct application to get a 12V case grounded alternator is a late 70's Caddy with a 100A alternator (not sure which model).

Later,
Joe

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post some pictures of the alternator you have? Sounds like it is not the correct type. Also pics of the brackets. On the passenger side the is a spacer that is required for the bottom bolt.

Crash is correct that you can get an alternator for a 70's- mid '08s Caddilac Deville that will work on the drivers side only (stock system). It is a Delco Remy 27SI type 100. It will not have the Isolated Ground that is required for the passenger side. The part number is listed in the CUCV FAQ Article that is listed at the top of the CUCV Forum.

badassissimo

i see

Here are some pics of how the alternators should be mounted
Those are definitely different alternators. I'll keep looking for the plugs or where to put them. Where would I install them if I can't find the plugs for the alternator?

Either way, if the caddy alternator goes on the driver's side, what would go on the passenger side?

Also, do the CUCV alternators have plugs like that?

badassissimo

I saw the FAQ and where it talked about the different engine and alternator. Hopefully I can figure out the passenger alternator with the new engine alternator. Just so I understand for later, are these alternators different than the cucv alternators? I'd heard that cucv alternators don't wear out as bad and I figure since I still don't have a single alternator for the truck, I might as well keep checking on cucv pricing. That is, if they are different.

rickt44498

replacement alternators

it might be in your best interests to have your existing alternator rebuilt by a LOCAL alternator / starter shop...

my experience with the national chain cheapo alternators is less than stellar...

plus it helps support your local businesses... plus he's easier to approach about problems...

i've had friends replace several national chain items before getting a "keeper"
the replacement warranty may be good, but not if you keep supplying the labor to replace it...

just my 2 cents...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did your CUCV come without alternators? Might put up a wanted ad in the classifieds. There seem to be quite a few of these floating around out there.

badassissimo

Dry

Did your CUCV come without alternators? Might put up a wanted ad in the classifieds. There seem to be quite a few of these floating around out there.
I bought it with no brackets or alternators. It looks like the pigtails are gone too. The batteries don't have trays and are actually mounted behind the passenger seat. Electrical leads go from there to the engine and back as well as to the rear. It was confusing to me at first until I learned how CUCVs are meant to jump other vehicles and then I learned there had been a generator mounted in the back (vent hood and exhaust pipe in rear).

I wish I could have rebuilt ones but I couldn't. I returned the 108 amp I had gotten from oreillys and ordered the one for the Caddy as recommended for the driver's side in the FAQ. But, since I'm still short one, I might as well post that ad and see if I can't get a set.

Any ideas on where the wires go once the big hardware is in place? I'm hoping I can crack at the bolts on the alternator brackets I bought from transman. I got the PB blaster soaking in on there now but will hit it again tomorrow morning to see if two coats will do the trick. I got my fingers crossed that I can get this done soon.

badassissimo

I checked it out and I'm interested in the cores. I don't seem them in the classifieds but I could be using the wrong search words again. Do you know if the engine wiring harness is standard? I don't want to make as many trips to oreillys as I did for the alternator. lol.

I have my fingers crossed that someone is selling a cucv alternator or two as well. I would like to get those on if I can afford them. Cores would be fine if I can come by the parts and figure out or be guided through the process. Should I just pm hawkman? I figured I would go ahead and do that now just see if he does still have them.

Crash_AF

The CUCV engine harness is CUCV specific, no civvy equivalent. You're either going to have to find a used one someone is parting out, or repair the one you have. I have two that are hacked up that I'm trying to repair right now. It's not that hard, but it is tedious.

Later,
Joe

badassissimo

I'm not sure where to start looking to see if I have any of it. What all ties into the engine harness? Maybe if its attached to something else then I can see where it leads to and possibly find the alternator plugs tied up. Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, how about posting some pictures of what you have and we can tell you what is missing. The pictures I have already posted on the first page and and the attached link show what is needed, and the locations.

badassissimo

sounds like a plan.

Hey, how about posting some pictures of what you have and we can tell you what is missing. The pictures I have already posted on the first page and and the attached link show what is needed, and the locations.
I will see what i can do in the next few days. been changing apartments but need both done.