• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Isolated ground 12 side?

Abbylind

I know the passenger side alternator has an isolated ground for the 24 volt side of the system. There is a phenolic insulator on the (-) ground lead on the alternator. I looked at the drivers side alternator and it has the same phenolic insulator. Ive got a wicked alternator whine on the 12 volt side. I installed a external capacitor on the drivers side alternator...still no joy. Could I have a ground loop problem with the drivers side alternator?..... Thoughts?

richingalveston

I would think it possibly in the alternator it is pretty cheap and easy to rebuild so before chasing the moon I might start with that. The entire truck in essence is a ground loop by design.
Does the noise change with load. Can you switch the heater fan speeds and change the sound?
I assume the whine you are talking about is coming out of your stereo speakers?

Just trying to get more info to help

Abbylind

Good questions! Yes the whine changes with engine RPM. I can hear it through my two way radio and my stereo...when it worked. I was installing a capacitor on the back side of the alt when I noticed the insulator on the back side on the ground lead. Im wondering in my 1008 had a isolated ground alt installed on the drivers side at some time....

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both alternators are isolated ground originally. Only the passenger side needs to be isolated ground.

NovacaineFix

If adding a capacitor to it doesn't stop the whining then it could be a bad diode in the diode trio inside the alternator, hopefully not.

The diodes changes the AC into DC but if you're hearing radio noise like the whining you stated, it may be one or more of the diodes breaking down allowing partial AC flow through causing the noise.

Also check your grounds and make sure that you have enough that are in good shape and properly grounded. Loose, bad grounds or not enough grounds can sometimes create that whine, but I would suspect the alternator 1st.

Let us know what you find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks