• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator issue

greenmonster

I am just seeing if anyone has had this issue on their truck. I started truck and was heading out to the dunes just idling I started to smell something burning. I opened the hood and there was flames coming off the alternator. The regulator looks completely melted the wiring is fried. Is this normal ?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am just seeing if anyone has had this issue on their truck. I started truck and was heading out to the dunes just idling I started to smell something burning. I opened the hood and there was flames coming off the alternator. The regulator looks completely melted the wiring is fried. Is this normal ?

Yes, All Military Vehicles have that Option...Its designed that way to prevent the truck from falling into Enemy Hands...:p

Now, serious...You need a new Generator....60AMP, and it has been known to happen, At least in HMMWV's....24volts is a B***H

goodguyzy

Yes this is common. This has been covered in past threads. Its caused by overworking the alternator. The trucks sit for long periods of time and kills the batteries. Its then jump started and it builds heat and over time fries them. Seems to be more common on reserve trucks for obvious reasons.

Hooper

Southern Michigan auto will sell just the regulators. Easy to put on. Just make sure to remove the alternator, don't try to do it in the truck way harder as it turns out....

greenmonster

Yes this is common. This has been covered in past threads. Its caused by overworking the alternator. The trucks sit for long periods of time and kills the batteries. Its then jump started and it builds heat and over time fries them. Seems to be more common on reserve trucks for obvious reasons.
My batteries are all brand new and I have been using the truck all week and it started with no jump. The only thing out of the ordinary is that I let another person drive it and they didn't turn off the main battery switch, but I don't think with the ignition switch off it would draw any power?

goodguyzy

The damage happens when uncle sam has the truck. Dead batteries and jumping. I had the same thing happen on a M35A3. About 6 months after I got it lost an alternator.

greenmonster

Just got my new alternator in it worked for about an hour and then spiked charge gauge and smoked three others I am guessing regulator on new alternator but has anyone else had them smoke the gauges when this happens?

wsmayeux

I would check the back of the alt where the cables come out. There is a cover....made of metal.... that likes to cut into the main cable going to the batteries. When this happens it likes to make sparks and fire. When sparks fly, the alternator is toast. I personally had this happen. So i bought a regulator thinking that would fix the problem. When it didnt , I bought a complete used alt, and repaired the end of the cable by wrapping it heavily with friction tape to insulate it from the sharp metal cover. Its been running like a top ever since.

greenmonster

The cables all look good I had to repair them from the fire. I put the new alternator on and it was working like a champ then I smelled something looked at gauges and the alt one was pegged to max volts before I could shut it down three of my gauges filled with smoke I unplugged ctis while I was pulling over but I think it took out abs as well. So now turning key on three of the gauges are inop and the alt one pegs when I fire it up

rrrr

I had the same issue with my m932. I keep it on a tender but the alternator started giving indications that is was going to fail because it was charging inconsistently. I tried to get military replacements but ended up going with a civilian type. So far no issues and the charging seems to be
much more steady/consistent.

greenmonster

So I did some digging and found the problem. I wanted to see if I could adjust the high voltage out of it. I turned screw all the way in and just so it was quick I checked volts at slave port and it was still over 30v so I pulled cover off of regulator to check at regulator and this was laying in the metal cover. I can not see where it came from so I am going to still have them send me new alternator. It looks to be a cold solder failure

Attachments

rrrr

My adjustment went out on mine. It would either charge 31v or 26v nothing else. I went with a civilian type and bought the brackets from a vendor here on SS. The alternator was an easy install and is much more stable than the military unit it replaced. It also cost much less.

QB144K

I have just replaced the stock generator (wich burned out of course) with a new (Delco 21SI 24volt alternator). I didn't have to modify anything. I just bought a 10 inch length of 7/16-14 threaded rod and 3 nuts and washers to mount the bottom and a 3/8-16 bolt and nut and washer for the top. all you need to hook up on the new alternator is the positive side to the main connection and the ground of course. I have been driving like this for several days now with no problems at all. total cost is about $200.00.... I recommend that everyone do this before that total P.O.S. generator catches fire. I will post some pics of the mount asap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks