• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Light Dimly Lit

motormayhem

I recently bought a cucv m1009 and when driving at night I noticed that the gen 2 light stays dimly lit at idle but when the engine is revving it goes out completely. I checked the alternators and the drivers side put out 14.3V and the passengers puts out 28.2V. The meter in the truck is in the green when the truck is running. I also tried to see if the brigtness of the light changed when I turned on the headlights, but it doesn't. What can I do to fix this as it is kind of annoying to let off the throttle and have the light come on?

Thanks,
Miles

BobM

I recently bought a cucv m1009 and when driving at night I noticed that the gen 2 light stays dimly lit at idle but when the engine is revving it goes out completely. I checked the alternators and the drivers side put out 14.3V and the passengers puts out 28.2V. The meter in the truck is in the green when the truck is running. I also tried to see if the brigtness of the light changed when I turned on the headlights, but it doesn't. What can I do to fix this as it is kind of annoying to let off the throttle and have the light come on?

Thanks,
Miles
Check your belts first. If the belt is loose/worn, it may slip. Also check the connections. If all of these are OK, then check the FAQ section. There are a couple of fixes in there.

motormayhem

I think the belts are ok. What connections should I check? The ones on the alternators are ok. I didn't see anything in the FAQ section.

CCATLETT1984

on the passenger alternator, check the brown wire for resistance to ground.

The brown wire and its mate compose the circuit that "excites" the alternator into charging. I'm betting that there is more resistance on that wire than should be there.

motormayhem

on the passenger alternator, check the brown wire for resistance to ground.

The brown wire and its mate compose the circuit that "excites" the alternator into charging. I'm betting that there is more resistance on that wire than should be there.

Is there a picture. I cant seem to find it.