• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator problems solved

scrambled

I see a million posts about alts not working and have read them all many times. My 1008 would show yellow on the volt guage, but the truck has run fine the last 3 or 4 months. When it wouldn't start the other day, I was surprised.

Both Alt lights come on at startup and go right out. I have new optimas in the truck and the front was at 12.5 volts and the rear was at 10.0 volts.

I read about testing the alts in the truck and the driver's side put out 14.5 and the pass. put out 2.4 volts. Found the problem.

I checked the exciter wires and everything else seemed good. Time for a rebuild.

I took the alt out with a big hammer, as it was frozen to the bracket. At the alt shop (really old building with equally old guy) the alt ran fine but the bearings sounded as loud as the 6.2 does.

85 bucks (cash or check?!?) later I had a great rebuilt alt.

I put in the alt and got everything going and still had crap voltage on the guage. the alt showed 14.5 at the rear while running, but it wasn't getting to the battery. I saw the diagrams in another post with the large red wire going to a fuseable link and turning blue just before connecting to the power block on the firewall. I removed the wires, mostly to curse them and then shoved them back on. There was a bunch of fine particle dusty crap that came off of the wires.

Fired up the truck and the guage is in the green and the combined volts is 29 while running.

I am very excited that the truck did not explode and I did not get electricuted. The amount of info on this site is awesome! Once it gets above freezing, I am gonna clean all of the electrical connections on the power block.

BTW if you need an alt or starter rebuilt around atlanta, the shop on church street extension in marietta is great. Right next to Runaround Sue's on Bells Ferry Rd. He is going to convert a spare 12 volt starter I have to 24 volt to keep on the shelf.

Happy Holidays and keep using the SEARCH function,

Travis

taildragger03

Yep, that is one of many things to take care of: check electrical connections (grounds especially) and rubber parts. Great of you using the and reiterating the "Search" function of this site!
Glad to hear that all is where it should be!