• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Problems

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the alternator on my 54 go out, and thought the one off my M-62 wold do till I got the other rebuilt. Turns out both were bad, but the worst was yet to come. Took them both in to a rebuilder in Toledo, Ohio that is very good with older electrical, carb and such for all sorts of vehicles/machines.
get the word from them, the parts to rebuild my units are no longer available. Seems the Govt has changed the units, and the only stuff out there is "take off/take your chances" at 500.00 a pop. (Memphis Equip. quoted them the price) Guess there is an outfit in Fla. called A.R.M. or some such thing that rebuilds with the original housing but the new "innerds". Anybody had like problems? How'd you solve it?? Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
NO NO NO! Someone here has a good take off for you much less than that. Heck, I saw dual voltage alts for $125 rated at 100amps at Aberdeen last year!

Last edited:

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the alternative, purchase a 24 volt delco and a cheap DB electric universal adapter and put it on. The new delco runs about $150. And you can get parts anywhere.

JasonS

There are several new 100A Leece Neville alternators on ebay for a $49 starting bid. I bought two. My local NAPA had the pulley to fit the larger shaft.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, I'm going on a hunt for what is available. Now that I've some ideas, we'll see just how good the folks that help me with such matters at Beamer's Farm Service over by Bellevue, Ohio really are. (really they can work on about anything, they've helped me with my 54, the 62, three jeeps, and a LARC-V, as well as a 60 Kw mil. genset. and they just replaced the clutch and throw-out in a 1944 Sherman as well) The Sherman belongs to the Allen County Historical Society in Lima, Ohio. Our club did it as a public service project.
Maybe I'll have my machines AND my peace of mind back soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks