• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator pulley alignment

Finnegan1008

Hey all, the passenger side alternator pulley on my truck is about a 1/16 back compared to the rest of the accessories causing alignment issues, squealing, and chewed belts. The truck is new to me so I don’t fully know the history but it looks like a replacement alternator and the fan has a good amount of belt dust on it.

What’s the best way to correct this?

I know one method is to shim the pulley but I can’t find a shim that will work locally. The alt shaft is .670 which is an odd size.

Has anyone had success shimming the whole alternator forward? Seems like it would be simple enough. Any issues with my idea? Any best practices?

Or should I just bite the bullet and order the .070 spacer made for shimming GM alternator pulleys from summit racing? I just hate to spend 11 bucks plus shipping for a fancy washer.

Plus I’m inpatient and want to fix this asap

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to go look at one of mine to remember but one of them were like that. I loosened the upper bracket on the intake, then the other bolt on the upper bracket I put a thin washer in between the bracket and block. The lower one I just removed the long bolt and used the same washer on the block side as well and it was enough to line up great. I didn't have to hog out the upper intake stud hole since it moved enough from that. I'd move the brackets before trying to change the alternator. I'd bet the bushing behind the pulley is a touch thin.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have another answer for this. I just got 2 kits from asp wholesale to rebuild 2 more 27si alternators...I got the hardware kits with it...they have the front bushing in it. Pop your pulley off and give them a call and see if he has the correct thickness you need. Not sure why I didn't think of that until now. You can see the bushing in the top center of the pic. I did not get the hardware kit for my last set and regret it very much now!!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to read my solution here -

Finnegan1008

You might want to read my solution here -

Already did sir! Great write up. Thanks for the link. I wish those .670 shims were available at the parts store but I’ll unfortunately need to mail order them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks