• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alternator question

rpellicci21

im sure this has been addressed before but i couldnt find it in the forums

so ive been trying to get my '09 up and running but i need a second alternator. When i got the truck someone had pulled the driver side one out. I went to the local car parts store and asked for an 85 k5 blazer alternator and what do you know it didn't match up. i found the oem part number for the '09s alternator and everywhere ive looked they are 177$ does this seem right? the other one i bought was only 77 does anyone know where i can get an alternator that isnt so expensive for this beast? Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have been posting without using capitalization.

This is a rule on SS.

Google the part number and alternator.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have discussed untold number of times about what alternators work in the CUCVs. :deadhorse:

The "stock" alternators are specialty built to have the internal electrical components isolated from the case. Thus they are refered to "isolated ground" alternators. $177 for a new unit is a fair price.

With the "isolated ground" alternator, the 12v/24v system can work in the trucks.

The GEN2 or passenger unit MUST be "isolated ground" or they will put off the most wonderful firework show you have ever seen. It might even burn down the whole truck.

Now the GEN1 or driver side unit does not have to be an "isolated ground" unit. The military and GM used the same alternator on both sides so the would only have to stock one part number.

The alternators use the 27si housing.

It just so happens that the alternator for the 1975 Cadillac also uses the 27si housing.

If you would look in the CUCV Wiki or the CUCV FAQ threads the part number for the 1975 Cadillac is listed. Autozone DL7157

Just make sure you ONLY use this unit on the driver side or the above mentioned fireworks display will be waiting forr you.

rpellicci21

Sorry I've been posting from my phone. I did google the part number and found the alternator, the question however was if there was alternative alternator that might work. The reason being the regular K5 Blazer alternator was $75 and all the ones for the '09 from the part number I searched were all close to two hundred.

rpellicci21

We have discussed untold number of times about what alternators work in the CUCVs. :deadhorse:

The "stock" alternators are specialty built to have the internal electrical components isolated from the case. Thus they are refered to "isolated ground" alternators. $177 for a new unit is a fair price.

With the "isolated ground" alternator, the 12v/24v system can work in the trucks.

The GEN2 or passenger unit MUST be "isolated ground" or they will put off the most wonderful firework show you have ever seen. It might even burn down the whole truck.

Now the GEN1 or driver side unit does not have to be an "isolated ground" unit. The military and GM used the same alternator on both sides so the would only have to stock one part number.

The alternators use the 27si housing.

It just so happens that the alternator for the 1975 Cadillac also uses the 27si housing.

If you would look in the CUCV Wiki or the CUCV FAQ threads the part number for the 1975 Cadillac is listed. Autozone DL7157

Just make sure you ONLY use this unit on the driver side or the above mentioned fireworks display will be waiting forr you.

Ok thanks. I saw on here what you mentioned about the isolated ground and I knew that the passenger side alt went then I would need an isolated ground alternator I was hoping that there was another option for the driver side because it isn't an isolated ground. Must of missed that post about the '75 cadillac alt thanks...I'm sorry about your horse.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would simply go to a local rebuilder, and as for a rebuilt 27si alt.