• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator questions--already searched!

I picked up an 85 1008. It had a chop doctor do a 12v conversion. Glow plugs are now also on a switch. All kinds of messes! My problem are neither of the alternators will charge.

I replaced the gen 1 and 2 bulbs, tried jumping an exciter wire and nothing was helping. Red wire on pig tail had 12v blk never showed anything. Gen 1 bulb is on now (wasn't before).

Is is it possible to just buy two new alt that are standard configuration and make a switch to excite them to charge the batteries. This thing is painted white and has Good Samaritan on it and the possibility of returning it to its stock greatness is a pipe dream. Just looking to get it reliable enough to drive every so often. Already got stuck yesterday so a lift and tires are in the future.

Forum got me lined out on correcting my tranny issues! For that thank you.

Also, so, the volt gauge isn't working. Can anyone direct me to the thread where the guy replaced the thing on the back of it with a part from radio shack?

thanks

brett

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's converted to 12 volts, you only need one alternator.

glassk

Convert to a 12-volt system utilizing two
batteries for starting power and one
alternator for charging.
(Note: Leaving
both alternators has little or no benefit.
Unless the voltage regulators’ turn on points
are identical, only one alternator will be
utilized by the system.)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stick pictures of pretty ladies under the hood?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would consult the Rosscommon Equipment 12v conversion method and try to make your truck like that. Without knowing how the chop doctor did the conversion we are all just guessing.

acesneights1

Since it was converted anyway, find a blown up 6.5 TD and grab everything off it and convert to serpentine belt. It was the best thing I ever did and now I use a CS130 alt.

M1008driver

Look @ Newsnote 10 in the link to find your problems with the chop doctor job on your vehicle. http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/page26.html

You only need one alt with the 12 volt conversion. If you buy an alt buy the DL7157. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-9ridy?itemIdentifier=91231_0_0_

All other parts are for a 1985 Chevrolet Truck K30 1 ton P/U 4WD 6.2L Diesel 8cyl.

Most here say the 12 volt conversion is a abomination. My truck has never run better, does not smoke, and starts even after sitting a few weeks at a time. I do have a solar battery maintainer installed. The 12 volt system is more reliable than the military 24 volt system IMHO. Peace!

Last edited:
Look @ Newsnote 10 in the link to find your problems with the chop doctor job on your vehicle. http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/page26.html

You only need one alt with the 12 volt conversion. If you buy an alt buy the DL7157. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-9ridy?itemIdentifier=91231_0_0_

All other parts are for a 1985 Chevrolet Truck K30 1 ton P/U 4WD 6.2L Diesel 8cyl.

Most here say the 12 volt conversion is a abomination. My truck has never run better, does not smoke, and starts even after sitting a few weeks at a time. I do have a solar battery maintainer installed. The 12 volt system is more reliable than the military 24 volt system IMHO. Peace!
Thanks for the links and info. I ordered the autozone alt. how did you wire up the exciter? Is it a switch or did you find an ignition hot and wire it?

brett

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks