• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator regulator wiring plug

stationjj

Hey,

I have taken a look at my Alternator wiring plug. I am no expert, but I think it's the regulator wiring plug?

Anyway mine are in bad shape. It's time to replace as a precaution.

What's does this wiring plug do, and how important is it?

Thank You,

stationjj

Skinny

CUCV electric sells all of that stuff and he has a reputation with SS members. I have purchased from him before and his parts are top notch with great service. If you need anything electrical, I would probably shop with him first before heading to a parts store.

If you are starting to get charging issues or have no history of alternator rebuilds, I would drop the $100 and buy a rebuild kit for both of them. The kit comes with parts to do both and the replacement pigtails. Money well spent and will eliminate any future issues with flickering charge lights or possibly dead batteries.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plug controls the exciter system of the alternator. Without it plugged in and working correctly you will not have a working alternator.

You can pickup the plug at just about any parts house. Should be around $5.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a picture of a new plug. Barrman just installed one on his son's CUCV.

alt plug.jpg

Barrman

$3.99 at the local O'Reilly's. While you have it unplugged to swap out, follow the wires as far as you can checking for breaks or open insulation.

stationjj

Thanks everyone. I picked up some today. Mine are in bad shape. Still working, but replacement wouldn't hurt.

I got home and found they won't fit. The new plugs are slightly to wide, and I am unable to make secure firm connection. $2.99 at ORielly. They said they fit 90-73. China Made.

I could maybe grind it down some, but prefer not to do this unless I absolutely have to. Anyway I will check other places tomorrow.

stationjj

Barrman

The tab is supposed to face the alternator body.

See if you can wiggle the connections inside the alternator around some. If you can, then you need to pull the alternator apart because that is the regulator and it is supposed to be solid mounted. That is the only thing I can think of besides a wrongly labeled plug. There is a lot of space for the plug to fit.