• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Short

USMC6062

I couldn't find my answer using the search funtion, but I did try. I went and helped a friend of mine get his stranded deuce today and brought it back to my house. He got ready to leave an event yesterday afterrnoon, and it wouldn't start. Nothing on the dash would work, no low air buzzer. He pull started it and it fired right up, but still couldn't get any power to anything. He ended up leaving it overnight and I went and looked at it this morning. I started looking for a shorted battery cable, because he said the terminal would arc when connecting the battery. I checked and everything was turned off and it still arced, and I didn't find any obvious shorts. I looked at the alternator and the main power wire that goes from the alternator to the starter solenoid, was melted a little at both ends. I disconnected the wire and that solved the arcing at the battery. So it appears that the alternator is shorted. He did say the alt guage was bouncing when he drove to the event yesterday. He took the alternator off, and is going to have it checked, but I wanted to see if anyone on here new what it might be first. Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator contains 6 diodes that convert alternating current to direct current. These can fail for various reasons, most often being connecting the batteries with reverse polarity. When they fail, they can fail to a direct short, which will ground out the positive alternator connection. I have not had much luck getting the 60 amp alternators repaired at local shops.

Mine quit charging, when I checked it, the connection on the wires under the "Do not remove" "high voltage, or something like that tag" had broken. I was able to fix the wire ends, carefully put them back and repot the area with silicone. You should disconnect the battery before trying to do this.

Good Luck!!!

USMC6062

I'll see if I can help him find another one. He knows of some place that rebuilds alternators for heavy equipment and trucks that are 24 volt, so he may let them look at it. I thought I remember something about a diode going bad and causing this. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks