• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ALternator squeel

Warren Lovell

Anyone tell me why the alternator squeels and then goes away after a few minutes of running?

It also will stop squeeling if I turn off the fan motor, so it is definetely load related....is some part failing in my alternator?

thanks guys,

Warren

davemccoull

Alternator squeal

I had similar fault with my Prestolite. When running the belts would start sqealing intermittantly And also on start up. The belts where tight and batteries fully charged, but the battery charge indicator was in the red.
When i checked aternator output it was 36 volts (way too high should be28 volts) tried adjusting on alternator, nothing. Turned out regulator in end of alternator was goosed. Swapped for good one, no trouble since.
Suggest you check belts and then output from alternator.

mangus580

Silly question Warren.... are you 'sure' its the alternator? and not the fan motor? GM Fan motors are known to squeal some......

If it is a belt for sure, it sounds like you have a loose one. When you have a heavy load on the alternator, it turns harder, and promotes slipping alot easier. Maybe just replace the belt while you are at it.

kenny

Both of mine squeal after start up for a couple of seconds but only if I push on the peddle.
I just let it idle for 2 minutes before I leave and no Sgueels.
I am just to lazy to spend the 2 minutes each to tighten them because it does not do it if I let it idle for a minute or 2 before take off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks