• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Testing

aceventura2225

I have a m1008. I was wondering how to test the alternators. The Passenger side more. What terminals do you put the volt meter on and how much voltage should be coming out of it. I had the voltmeter hooked up and it was reading 20 something volts. i was confused because that doesnt tell me if it was charging. i know when i hook it up to the driver side alternator i get 14 volts which i know is charging. Im unsure about the passenger side though. ive been having battery problems. i recently had my passenger side alternator rebuilt and when i hooked it up it smoked out real bad and i need to check if it is ruined. If i have it rebuild what should i tell the rebuilder? is it a 24 volt alternator? i dont know why it smoked so bad. therefore, how do i check the alternators for charging?

avengeusa

PS

you can check voltage at the battery

or at the charge wire on the alternator, the bigger red one, not the 2 in the plug....

rockspider

Old thread but sounds like the pass side alt was not properly isolated on ground stud, maybe a mistake during first rebuild?
How has this story ended up?