• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator woes

deuceinaround

Hey guys, my alternator took a dump awhile back and im just now getting around to fixing it.

It quit charging so I took it off of the truck intending to work on it but got side tracked into other projects,is anybody familiar with this model??? (pics below) and where would I look for parts or a replacment??? prob looking to sell the truck soon so cheaper is better,not really looking for aftermarket replacement.

But any help or advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/i...e73bf8a0/l.jpg
http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/i...2fdb2dc8/l.jpg

wb1895

I would take it to a alternator repair shop and have them check it first. Mine quit charging a few days ago, turned out the exciter wire was split and not making a good connection.

I repaired the wire and she is charging like a champ now. cost...... about 10 cents

s1036s

X2

X2 on taking it to alternator shop. Mine wasnt charging and I took it in to have it tested and they told me it was charging fine.... Also look into the civilian 24v alternators, it may be a good time to upgrade....

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yea, I'd rather take it to a good Alt. shop. that way they could check the bearings and brushes. i think the couple extra bucks would be worth the peace of mind. i plan on doing that with mine someday. there is an old guy here in Binghamton that really knows his $hit about this kinda stuff. Those old guys can be a wealth of knowledge.... and a wealth of stinky farts! brutal ones!:lol:

deuceinaround

Well I have already gone the alt shop route,or at least the only local one that will work on it,he says he's a dealer for the parts but it would cost $400+ for the parts,but I had someone else take it to the shop for me because I had to work that day and they didn't ask what parts it needs.

Im hoping to sell the truck as soon as I get it going so proly looking for a good used one if I can find one,just bolt on and go :smile:

ps......................The guy at the alt shop said it cost the goverment $1700 if they had to buy the alt from the manufacture.............................i cant spend that much :roll:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like you have 2 choices .
1 : Spend the money to fix the truck and try for top dollar
2 : Sell the truck as is with known charging problem and lower the price accordingly

Last edited: