• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator?

hwcurtice

Are these pretty common? For a m1009? What should I expect to pay for one?

Common, meaning will I be able to hit up the local parts store and get one off the shelf?

phil2968

Only the passenger side has to be an isolated ground. One for a 1975 Cadillac Fleetwood is the same alternator but not isolated ground. It can be used on the drivers side. Shop around for the best price. If you rebuild yours make sure the shop understands that they are isolated grounds!

Keith_J

I've got a pair of rebuild kits on order because mine are a tad weak, the most they will put out while still keeping battery voltage above 12.8 is 30 amps. Under $40 per kit is a lot of saved cash.

The kits contain both bearings, the main rectifier bridge, the field diode trio, brush set and filter capacitor. It takes me longer to get the alternator out of the vehicle than to overhaul it.

Skinny

Perfect time to learn how to rebuild an alternator ;)

Don't be afraid, they are very simple inside. Follow the TM's and take a few pictures during disassembly, you'll be golden! Not to mention piece of mind knowing your GENs are new again. Also be sure to replace the GEN dash bulbs, clean the bulb sockets, and may as well desire the pigtails at the GEN. Sounds expensive and time consuming bit it's pretty quick and cheap. Good insurance policy!

hwcurtice

Perfect time to learn how to rebuild an alternator ;)

Don't be afraid, they are very simple inside. Follow the TM's and take a few pictures during disassembly, you'll be golden! Not to mention piece of mind knowing your GENs are new again. Also be sure to replace the GEN dash bulbs, clean the bulb sockets, and may as well desire the pigtails at the GEN. Sounds expensive and time consuming bit it's pretty quick and cheap. Good insurance policy!
Desire pigtails? Not since 4th grade.... I'm thinking replacing all the dash bulbs is a good thing, for a 30ish old rig.

I'm actually waiting to hear back on legalities on the rig. The guy selling doesn't have the title, the fool.

Skinny

When I registered due to age, I did not need a title. Most states will not with the age, only a bill of sale. I actually (best policy in most situations) kept my mouth shut when first registering and played stupid...which is not difficult. I had an SR97 doc from the US Gov't that is required for proof of transfer of ownership. Usually a smile and a friendly greeting gets you a long way at the DMV. Tell them only what they need to know.

Of course you will want to ensure your new purchase is not stolen!

Who doesn't love pigtails??? You are crazy!

The ones on your rig are thirty years old and more than likely brittle or melted. Always a good practice to replace. I recommend some nice marine grade shrinkwrap butt connectors. Good for another thirty years :)

hwcurtice

When I registered due to age, I did not need a title. Most states will not with the age, only a bill of sale. I actually (best policy in most situations) kept my mouth shut when first registering and played stupid...which is not difficult. I had an SR97 doc from the US Gov't that is required for proof of transfer of ownership. Usually a smile and a friendly greeting gets you a long way at the DMV. Tell them only what they need to know.

Of course you will want to ensure your new purchase is not stolen!

I don't understand the desire term. I'm sure it was an autocowreck thing. Just want to know what you meant.

I forgot about the SR97...

Who doesn't love pigtails??? You are crazy!

The ones on your rig are thirty years old and more than likely brittle or melted. Always a good practice to replace. I recommend some nice marine grade shrinkwrap butt connectors. Good for another thirty years :)
I don't understand the term 'desire' I'm pretty sure it's just an autocowreck of something else, but it's too early and I haven't had enough coffee...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks