• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alternator

bcrobbins

So I just bought an alternator from a pick and pull. I know the truck was an m1008, but by the time I found it, it only had one alternator..the passenger side (although my understanding is that it doesn't matter, they are both the same). Anyway, I got the thing home, I noticed that there is a barrel attached to the back of the new alternator while those two ones that I have currently do not have a barrel on the back. Can anyone tell me what this barrel is for and whether or not it's going to be a problem? I have attached a picture. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0370.jpg

bcrobbins

Sorry y'all. I got lucky and guessed that it was a capacitor (don't know a thing about electricity). Anyway, I searched that, and I found my answer. Sorry for jumping the gun and clogging up the forum.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good score on finding one at the junk yard.

Yes that is a capasitor for noise reduction. Most have been removed over the years.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That capacitor with the lead hooked to the ground will not do anything. The lead should go the B+ terminal. The can on the capacitor is ground.

bcrobbins

Thanks guys. I FINALLY got her running. I think I need to test the other alternator because the needle is in the yellow. I'll do that over the weekend. New problem though... she idles just fine for long periods, drives straight just fine, but when I go to make a turn on the road she just dies like she's out of fuel and is difficult to get back started. I can turn the wheel and drive in circles and its fine. There's some white smoke coming out of the passenger tailpipe. I've just finished a head gasket job and replaced all the glow plugs (although I did fry the passenger side alternator in the process, but replaced it). There may have been just a little 8 month old fuel in there, but I know there are 15 gallons of less than 1 month old fuel too. New fuel filter, new fuel pump and a full can of seafoam in the tank. I'm hoping that it is just a matter of letting her idle for a good long while, but as it stands, the symptoms are exactly the same after a an hour of idling still. any thoughts? Thanks