• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alternators charging at different rates

hg adams

My passenger side alternator is charging at 14.8 and the driver side is charging at 12.8. Also, the in cab voltmeter is staying right at the line between yellow and green. Usually it stays right in the middle of the green. I was wondering if the driver side alternator has a problem. I checked the all the bolt on connections on the alternators, but I did not pull the plug with the two wires running into it to check it. Both belts seem to be at the same tension. Maybe someone can help.

Keith_J

That sounds like the regulator isn't working correctly on that generator. This is the generator which supplies the 12 volt loads and is the most heavily worked alternator.

No generator light on?

hg adams

It was a burned out bulb on the gen 1 light. Replaced the bulb, and now both alternators charging at 14.8. Thanks a bunch Ken_86gt. I would have never figured that out.

4bogginchevys

Altenator 1 is drivers side, a good way to remember is to think about the "process". Alt 1 (drivers) is where it all begins.....1 goes in to alt 2 (Pass) where it is roughly doubled.....same with batt 1 (front)...starts 12 volt and roughly doubles at the end of 2 (rear) ......maybe this will help some make "sense" of it all since this is such a commonly asked question and is very important to know for everyone who owns and plans on working on a CUCV.:p