• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alts not charging

trooper632

the batteries dont drain while sitting in the truck, only while its running. It takes about 40-50 minutes to drain while running. it is still 24v.

Dodgeman1941

CHANGE THE GEN 1 and GEN2 dash warning bulbs. This sounds TOTALLY stupid,but I had the same problem TODAY and spent all morning trying to fix it. 1 hour looking through the trouble shooting and wiring diagram prortion of the manual, 2 trips to NAPA, a stop at the local battery shop to test the alternator, another 2 hours under the hood putting everything back togather and testing all of the leads, and then fianlly in desperation I changed the bulbs and wha-la, the voltmeter jumped right up to where it should be. In disbelif, I went back to the battery shop to make sure I wasn't smoking something. He said sure-enough, the power coming through the light bulb to the alternator is telling it to turn on. The bulb cuts the voltage to about 6 volts, full twelve volts on that lead would cook the voltage reg. He also said that most of the times the vehicle manufacturer would put a small resistor in parallel with the bulb so if the bulb burn out, the Alternator would still work, he was surprised it didn't have one.

The above sounds stupid, and if it didn't happen to me I wouldn't have believed it, if you don't have both gen 1 and gen 2 lights on when you turn your key to the "run" position fix them.

trooper632

in response to mangus580, this cucv has the aftermarket a/c in it and it works great. paid $500.00 for it, but having a hell of a time finding the short. dont remember if gen light bulbs come on or not (working between 5 cucv's), but will check and let yall know.

CCATLETT1984

Dodgeman1941 said:
... He also said that most of the times the vehicle manufacturer would put a small resistor in parallel with the bulb so if the bulb burn out, the Alternator would still work, he was surprised it didn't have one.
The military did this on purpose, so if the bulb burnt out it would be changed, so you would know when your alt's are not charging ;)

ssgtwright-usmc

Correct me if I am wrong but you stated you have A/C on your M1009.
If so, the A/C pump would be located on the drivers side of the vehicle.
This leads me to beleive that you only have one generator which is now on the passenger side.
Why would the GEN 1 Light even light up when cranking when a A/C pump is now in its place.
The GEN 1 light is for the driver side alternator, right or wrong and the GEN 2 light is for the passenger side alternator.
I have a problem with my GEN 1 light at night time with the headlights turned on.
Sitting, the GEN 1 light is somewhat glowing but turns off when vehicle is moving.
Tightened the belts but still have same problem.
I dont understand why your GEN 1 light would ever come on before in the first place and now it doesnt.

Dodgeman1941

:? So...Let me see if I got this right...

They got rid of the resistor on the bulb that makes the alt work, so that if guy doesn't notice that bulb is burnt out, the alternators won't work as to make the batteries go dead, so it will help him realize the the alternators are not charging the batteries which he would not otherwise notice because the warning light that he expects to indicate the alternators are not charging the batteries, isn't on, because it is burnt out, but he didn't notice that when we first went to start the truck, not knowing that, the perticular bulb he didn't notice was burnt out, turns on the alternators which should be charging the batteries that are now dead, so none of the vehicle's lights are working....

...so they didn't want the soldier stuck in BFE over a bad alternator...just a $.25 light bulb...

Yup, that's the Gubbament aua

What's next, put a sensor in the brake light circuit that will make the brakes not work if the brake light bulb is burnt out?????

mangus580

trooper632 said:
in response to mangus580, this cucv has the aftermarket a/c in it and it works great. paid $500.00 for it, but having a heck of a time finding the short. dont remember if gen light bulbs come on or not (working between 5 cucv's), but will check and let yall know.
Thanks... My reason for asking had been if it was stock AC, that would indicate the M1010, which the charging system is TOTALLY different.

trooper632

no lights on gen1 or 2 when i turn the key on. Changed out bulbs and got gen 1 light to come on now but not #2. had to jiggle it around in there before it made goog contact. appears that there is a clear peice of plastic on the back side of the cluster housing with brass strips for the contacts of the bulbs. but could never get gen#2 light to work, any other ideas.

Dodgeman1941

Now that Gen 1 light is on are you getting the DS alt kicking out 12 volts {charging the front bat}? I would be curious if you have voltage on the brown and red wire at the PS alt. The battery guy told me that the red wire is looking to see if there is battery voltage {should be 12v} and the brown wire is the one that runs to the dash bulb and that should read around 6 volts. My other question you said that the batteries are going down. Is it one or both? My problem was that the front {12v system} battery was going down because there was no charging of that battery. I would charge it all up, and start the truck off my duece. I would then turn on all of the accy I could {rember all of the trucks original stuff like headlights and heater are 12v off the front bat} and watch to see if the 12v batt drops which is what I suspected was happening because you said that the battery was draining as you drive. The 24v system only is for starting and glow plugs which shouldn't drain while you drive.

Dodgeman1941

OK here is where the GEN2 light circut goes according to the wiring diagram;

It starts at the 24v fuse on the fuse box under the dash.

An orange wire runs from the fuse box to the instrument panel plug.

Inst. plug to the bulb and back to the plug.

A brown/red wire runs from the plug to the GEN2 relay which is located on a bracket that is attached to the steering column.

A brown wire runs from the GEN 2 relay to a diode {I don't know where it is located}

From the diode a brown wire runs to GEN 2 through the fire wall plug.

As a side note; the other wires that run through the GEN 2 relay is a pink/black that runs to the volt meter relay that is located right next to the GEN 2 relay. And the other is a ground.

PM me if you would like a copy of the wiring diagram I'm looking at.