• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Always check your batteries

soulbrojosh

After spending the last few days searching high and low for any thread that might help solve my starting problems with my 1009...I learned a very valuable lesson. Always make sure that your batteries are fully charged.

And by fully charged, i mean 12.5 volts at minimum...mine were both at about 11.2 and i figured that that was more than enough to crank over my CUCV. Wrong!

My problem started with a normal start, then a high-pitched squeal, then a stall. I tried starting a again...nothing but a click. So i immediately went onto SS to troubleshoot. That was when i checked the charge of my batteries and figured that it was enough. After a couple of days of searching the threads, i followed some member's advice. I cleaned and inspected every connection to the batteries and buss bars i could reach. I wound up replacing one of the frfont batt terminals. Still no luck. I had my lovely assistant (wife) try and start while I banged on the starter, now the starter was trying to engage, so i loosened the bolts a few turns and still had the same results, stsrter was just not engaging enough. So before I spent the next few hours monkeying around with the removal of the starter, i spent 5 minutes removing the batteries and taking them to Autozone and had them charged. They came back good and charged (12.5 volts each). I took them back home and installed them. Had to replace the front batt ground to the radiator support. And she started right up!

Since it is too late to make a long story shorter. Always make sure that the batteries are fully charged!

My sincerest thanks to any and all who have said this before me.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the same experience, replaced one battery, started fine for a week or so, same issue would not start just a thud! Screwed around with everything but the other battery, took a week then as a last resort replaced the other battery! Not an issue since. It takes a lot turn it over fast enough to start!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great advice SoulBro!!!

That is why in the Tech manual Troubleshooting Section it states: "When troubleshooting a malfunction, ensure that both batteries are fully charged". I like to add "And load tested" as a battery can show 12.5v+ but have zero amps for a load.

Two tools every MV owner should have and know how to use are a multimeter and a battery load tester. I use both of mine weekly.

Last edited:

99nouns

Good advice.That is why the Tech manual states "Before attempting any electrical troubleshooting, make sure your batteries are fully charged" (sp) And I like to add "And load tested" as a battery can show 12.5v+ but have zero amps for a load.Two tools every MV owner should have and know how to use are a multimeter and a battery load tester. I use both of mine weekly.
If I only knew what a multimeter did or does, it has so many selections on it I dont even know where to start from learning.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct on the three items Marcus.

Youtube is a great place to learn how to use a multimeter. Voltage and ohms are the two major things most MV users will use.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks