• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM 1780, VIC 1 question

199th mp

i would like to know if any one can explain to me how the telephone connection works on the AM1780, and which piece of equipment it's designed to use? when would it be used, why, and under what circumstances? how does it function, and how well? which TM should i look for at the meets to learn about all this? thanks in advance, ron.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Use WD1, WD1A or WF16 wire which are all the standard army communication wire. Wire comes in various length of rolls but the standards are the 1/4 mile DR-8 and the RL-159 which is 2 miles. The WF-16 comes on the DR-8 and the 5KM DR-5. As for phones, the normal would be a TA-1, TA-43 or TA312 which are the standard field phones. TA-43 and TA312 have a range of 20+miles. TA-1 much shorter but can't remember. The RL39 reeling machine was used to carry and real in the DR8 size wire. Best to google all these items. You can usually find these items fairly cheap--even on flea-bay.

Standard use of the set up. Armored troops don't stay in their vehicles all the time. It is much more common, especially in the defense or in a lager to have the majority of the crew/squad or a security team dismounted and the vehicles in a hide position. The telephone would be with the dismount team so they could observe and report. The artillery spotting vehicles had 2 x RL39s with DR8's on a semi-permanent mount on the vehicle to make it quick and easy to real in and out the wire.

Phone also keeps the radio chatter down. You don't want the electronic air waves floating out there unless you have to.

Hope all this answers the question.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Oh and it works both ways. The radio equipped vehicles would relay info to the line. It was common to have a TA1 in each squad--in the old days.

mm58

So the ringer (hand crank) voltage on the field phones won't fry the -1780?

(additional info) So tonight I experimented hooking up a TA-43 to the AM-1780 via the LINE(TEL/REMOTE) wire inputs
on the -1780. Nothing was heard on the -1780's headsets while talking into the -43's handset, but I could hear headset
boom mic audio on the phone's handset receiver.

My VIC-1 is currently configured "INT ONLY" No radios, and power comes in thru J508

What does it take to get full two-way functionality of a field phone connected to an AM-1780 (VIC-1)?

Any help appreciated...

Mike

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM states the ringer voltage WILL harm the 1780. If you have a field phone hooked up do not use the ringer. The way it was supposed to work is the phone user would whistle or talk into the handset to get the attention of the vehicle crew. At least one crewman would have a CVC helmet or headset on while in a defense or laager. Look at TM 11-5830-340-12 VIC-1, it has specifics on field phone set up.

Last edited: