• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Am I missing something from the 701A throttle cable or is the clamp just bent?

I got up this morning and began going over the MEP-701A I picked up yesterday to determine why the throttle cable didn't work. I quickly found a clamp that is bent or possibly missing a sleeve. The clamp can be tightened some but not enough to tighten against the cable to secure it. The clamp that may be bent is number 26 in this screen shot. The part that makes me consider a missing sleeve is indicated with the red arrow. I'll also try to add a short video after the picture to better show what I am asking about. Thanks.

MEP-701A-sleeve.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK5hpCxv1dw

Last edited:

DieselBob

From the video it just looks like the clamp is bent. Maybe from a cable that was a larger diameter. You most likely just need to bend the clamp so that it doesn't have that gap.

Last edited:

ETN550

Thanks! I've got it in my pocket now and will straighten it out in a vice. My attempt with pliers failed.

The standard cable has a stiff rubber bushing on the end of it. That accounts for the gap. I say any fix that results in good cable action without binding or wearing on the side of the cable is good enough.

If anyone ever has to run without the cable: The adjustment screw below the lever can lift the lever up enough to maintain 60Hz. It's a pain to make the adjustment with the filter on but possible.

I've finally got the throttle cable clamp problem fixed. Even with the throttle cable pulled as far as it will go I can't get the MEP to stay running without grabbing the linkage on the gov and giving it more fuel. Is the linkage seriously out of adjustment, the wrong throttle cable or is something else going on here? Thanks.

ETN550

I've finally got the throttle cable clamp problem fixed. Even with the throttle cable pulled as far as it will go I can't get the MEP to stay running without grabbing the linkage on the gov and giving it more fuel. Is the linkage seriously out of adjustment, the wrong throttle cable or is something else going on here? Thanks.
The quick fix is to turn the maximum fuel screw in a turn or two until the speed picks up and holds. This is screw #2, fig 7.3, page 7-7 of the 202 page manual (not the 288 page manual). Turn it clockwise to make it pick up and hold.

However, most likely it needs a full adjustment. Start at the top of page 7-6 with the linkage adjustment and proceed all the way to page 7-8 item #12. You might be surprised at how well it will run and hold load. It takes a while to do it but it is not difficult. You need a known 3kw load or just shoot for 80% on the meter. Otherwise just follow all the steps in order.

All the adjustments available help the unit run very well. However, one adjustment effects another so many may do a field fix and forget to re cal later. Eventually, too much tinkering and the system gets out of whack. The procedure addresses all the adjustments in the correct order and will get the machine to start, load and run crisp.

skinnyR1

I have a similar issue.

The throttle knob does not have enough tension in it to keep it from spinning on its own by the vibrations of the unit. Is there an adjustment on that, to make it have more resistance, to keep from turning on its own?

ETN550

The throttle cable is a known weakness. It may do what yours is doing or it may slip a notch at a time. The only real fix is to replace it. I have adapted PTO cables to work as they are similar. I think the surplus places do have the OEM cables. You may try some way of making a clamp to lock the hand wheel.

A tempory solution is to run the screw up that will keep the lever from moving and set the speed permanantly. This is the screw with the head that is almost touching the oil filter. This is also a good thing to know if a cable breaks and the unit is needed to be running before a new cable can be fitted. Run the screw up until the desired speed is made.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks