• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Amateur Radio

englishmauser

Been a HAM for years, Mostly I use an HT in the trucks.
My son and I are hams. When I picked up my Deuce from Ft. McCoy, my son had an HT in the M35 and I used the mobile radio in my car to communicate as I followed him back home. It did not work though, he couldn't hear me, it was too loud in the cab. I wonder if some kind of a head set or powered speaker would help.

Carl_in_NH

It did not work though, he couldn't hear me, it was too loud in the cab.
An intercom setup (like the VIC-1 / AN-1780) with headsets is the hot setup; that provides you some hearing protection from the noise in the cab while allowing you to use the radio and talk to the co-driver, if present.

There are some light-weight headsets with boom mic that can interface directly (plug into) HTs - but YMMV, because they won't block much of the external noise in the cab. It will be much better than just trying to use the HT handheld, however. Downside is no intercom - but if you're solo, no matter.

There are other Bluetooth based intercom and radio interface headsets out there, but most are intended for motorcycle applications, and want to be mounted inside a helmet - not exactly what I'd want for deuce driving.

pvtjorge

My first liscense I got back in 1978. Was Ka5cky and my wifes was Ka5ckz.
I worked morse code on HF a lot at first until I got a General liscense. Then after so many years got disnterested in Ham and let my liscense run out. Sold all my stuff. But still have 50 foot tower.

Last year I took the exam for Techn. and General. Now a I am General again.

No radios yet though.

I have no idea what bands are popular anymore or what radio or radios I would buy.

Last edited:

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been a tech for a couple years. Used it alot in AK, unfortunatly not so much here in VA. I just painted the interior of my S-250 today, next is to figure out what will go where inside.

KL2IC

Stan Leschert

VE7HHK. I keep nothing in the truck that I don't wish to loose. I have a 30A 12V tap for the radio gear, and all antennas are mag mounts. I have retired from the Red Cross thing, so I only play when I am really needed!

REGULATOR

trolling for info, I have a 10m rig I want to mount in my m1009, has anybody successfully used a military looking antenna for this?

probably use a roof mount for my 2m/440 but woudl love to put a mil spec ant on the 1009 for the 10m

kd5kre

Flyingvan911

I got my Tech in 1998 and am now a General. I just bought a 1970 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 and am waiting for the EUC. I am going to see about putting my Icom 706 MKII-G in it. I was to bundle the radio and auto tuner together and make it easy to switch between my van and the Deuce. A Deuce makes a great vehicle for working in a natural disaster.

73's, David KC0ERE

N7COF

Should be obvious my call sign in my forum name :)

Originally licensed in 1977 as WD6COF got back into to ham radio a few years ago and got re licensed. Usually just carry a kenwood tri band HT while wheeling.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Hmm, I thought that I already responded in this thread, but I don't see my post. Maybe there was another similar thread?

Anyway, I'll leave guessing my call sign as an exercise for the readers. ;)

REGULATOR

yep, looks like I can make it work ... found more info after I posted...

I might just go with a big civi whip on a spring in the ant mount.. will be close enough..maybe I'll spray it OD green and put an ant ball on the end...

I had an Icom 706MkIIG installed in my p/u truck feeding a stainless steel whip antenna through the AH-4 autotuner. Love the ability to jump around the different bands, had a nice QSO with a guy in Australia while parked in Huntington Park in Newport News, VA. I think that was my longest distance QSO. Another one was when I was able to give a Swiss ham a QSL card from Surry County, VA, where there are very few hams (if any).

pidgeon

Made General last year. I'm working on getting my icom 706mkIIg into my m1009. I'm hiding it in a gutted RT-442 mounted in the back (barely fits) and running it via an analog controller I'm building to mount up front and talk CI-V to it (as well as run the MX6707 tuner). Code for the display is done, I'm still working on decoding the packets from the radio.

wsucougarx

awaiting my Technician license. Planning on taking the General in a couple months. Then the Extra thereafter. Plan on adding a Ham rig to my M109A3. Looking to join the RACES for my area and using my M109A3 to get to those tough to get areas:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks