• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Amazed at how quickly this is becoming an obsession...

redline300

So I bought a 1985 M1008 yesterday. The heaters are still in it and it is still a 24V system. There is wiring for a plow as well as a plow mount. What confuses me is the odometer has 6 digits! Apparently it is stock....so the man said and he claims the 9000 miles are the ONLY miles on it. It drives great but harder to start because there is an air leak at the injector pump. Where do I start? What are my options for gearing? I would like it to still have the option of plowing extremely well but also be able to hit a normal highway speed. Is it worth taking the arctic kit out and putting it into my M1009, then selling the M1008? Am I allowed to say, on here, how much I bought it for?

Attachments

ryan77

Swap the trans to a overdrive unit!!! Put a new injector pump in, replace all rubber lines and your good to go!!!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! My CUCV is from AK and it has the same heaters and swingfire socket. For road speed I recommend the 4L80E transmission and the TCI controller. I am in the middle of adding this to mine. Others have posted about this swap, search "4L80E CUCV". What is the scoop on the camo?

coecamo

I swapped in a TH700R4. No electrorics only a throttle cable its not too complicated swap 17 mpg highway at 70-75 nice truck Change the starter relay look up Doghead starter relay Gary

Cucvnut

you can go to 4 10 gears after that you need to change carriers to go to lower gears like 373 and down. or you can go to bigger tires. how much did you pay for it ? why do you have to ask to stay ?

markg

What confuses me is the odometer has 6 digits! Apparently it is stock....so the man said and he claims the 9000 miles are the ONLY miles on it.
thats a replacement speedometer head from gm parts. the original must have quit or it was in for major maintanence and they changed the head at that time. cucv's were born with a 5 digit odometer. thanks. mark

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, on your hard starting issue: Cap off the fuel line tee feeding the heaters in the right front wheel well before trying anything drastic. I had my IP rebuilt thinking it was failing, but in reality the problem was air being drawn into the system through the heater electric pump.

redline300

you can go to 4 10 gears after that you need to change carriers to go to lower gears like 373 and down. or you can go to bigger tires. how much did you pay for it ? why do you have to ask to stay ?

Yes, I asked if I was able to say how much I bought it for because in other forums I have read that there are specific sections for $ talk. So I figured I'd ask.....I paid $1600.

redline300

Agreed! That's a great price for a truck like that. The guy that sold you that truck doesn't have any more lying around does he???

No. What happened was...he(we'll call him Dan) sold his jeep to a guy(we'll call him Fred) 1 year ago. Fred then sold the jeep back Dan along with giving him the M1008 because he didn't need it without the jeep. Fred originally had bought the M1008 to replace the axles in the jeep. So here Dan has his jeep back and an M1008 of which he didn't want in the first place. Technically Dan had the better deal because he got the truck for free....but he didn't know what he had!