• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Amazing Deuce Trip Experience

Oilleaker1

I drove my '71 AM General 75 miles over into Wyoming to give my Grandson, Granddaughter and Daughter a ride up into the Black Hills of Wyo. and SD. I've driven other toys before, but never got the response I experienced. The people along the entire route waved, pointed, gave me the honk sign etc. A real tough looking guy with a neck as big as my leg told me at the filling station that " Wow that brings back lots of memories ". Another asked me if I was getting around 9 MPG. I just said " Yep " My Grandson I-Pod filmed the stack with Whistler turbo cause his dad has him turned into a diesel nut already! I'll bet his buddies at grade school said-----Awesome! Man it was worth the fuel cost! Anyone else had these feelings? John

bratpackdad

That's fantastic! What a great way to stay connected to your kids grand kids. My kids go bannanas everytime I even mention moving the deuce. I would sell my Hughes (which they hate) long before my deuce. :beer:

Last edited:

mcmullag

life in these United States

I get real hard stares all the time when driving around, like... what the heck is going on that the National Guard or the Army is in our hood? It's fun, lots of people enjoy them, especially the vets. Oh the stories I could tell from the displays I have done and vets walking up and looking and talking and asking questions, .......:D

jollyroger

I hear you my friend. Nice story.

I have this kind of experience from time to time. I have a few trucks now so I take it for granted on occasion until someone gives me the thumbs up or want's me to hit the air horns. It used to be just the kids but now I have guys my age asking for the horns.

All the way back from hunting camp this year I was getting the thumbs up coming down the dirt roads and nasty switchbacks. Most people would just pull to the side and watch me roll on by. It was nice to see people appreciate the truck like we do.

wikallen

People like this do not judge.
They don't care what mpg you get.
Don't care how much it costs.
Don't care if you are wearing street cloths, or a uniform.
Don't care what the neighbors think.
Wouldn't care if it was parked next to, in front of, or across the street from his house.

This guy can only say one thing "Truck!, Truck!, Truck!".

I will let him play in the cab as long as he wants or his mom lets him (I have a keyed switch turned off of course)

I get the biggest kick out of kid's reactions when they see the truck.

Attachments

unclemikey

Love stories like that. I think some of the most fun of owning a Deuce is the people you met, the stories they tell, and the reactions you get. My two best are (1) Returning from St. George Utah, at Kayenta Arizona, in a Burger King parking lot checking over the Deuce for the run to Durango, Colo. A bus pulls in with a bunch of Japanese Tourist for eats and a rest stop. Some jump out to go in to Burger King, others come over to take photo's of the Deuce. Got a kick out of that! (2) Driving down a winding mountain road about 45 mph near Vallecito Lake, Colo. A guy pops up out of a cars sunroof to take a picture as we pass. Gives a thumbs up, and fades away in the rear view mirror. Had to chuckle.

Seth_O

I bought my deuce and drove it for exactly one day before I parked it for the bob-job (been working on it since then.) In the one day of driving it I was shocked at the number of honks, waves, thumbs-ups, and slow-down-and-gawk driveby's I had. I got stopped several times in parking lots and had multiple folks approach and ask questions or want to chat & reminisce. I have a nice '69 FJ40 that gets comments and looks, but nothing like the deuce does.

Oilleaker1

I'm well pleased by your responces! My Grandson has the most pleasing smile in my photos. After reading FAQ and how to post pictures and not less than 2 hours of screwing around, I can't give you photos. The possibilities are endless. Sizing files etc. I could Email you the shots, but I'd rather overhaul the deuces engine than screw with HP instant share or Kodak easy share etc.-------:cry: Why can't shareing photos be simple!!!!!!!!! I simply can't download pictures off the camera, and then get it uploaded into something to give you. Browse, heck, I can't help you here. I need a step by step, click by click guide to do this. At 56, I have very little patience for this and have not a 2 year class to teach me this. I'm in admiration of you guys that find this simple. I can listen to a engine running and tell you how to tune it!:-D I can tell you the rest of mechanics, but the endless computer choices are-----a blown up engine to me. Thanks for your kind requests for pictures. Come on over for a beer! John

Akicita

I only have a Deuce for about a half a year now. I road mostly interstate highways to bring her home and did not notice that other drivers paid much attention to me.
Around home (near Philadelphia, PA) though, I get a lot of stares, some waves and a few honks when I take the Deuce out. The suburbs here are not "Deuce Country". I guess that means that I'm still not a suburbian even though the country around me is turned into homes and shopping centers.
Special moments:
- My new young neighbor came over and asked if it would be OK with me if he brought his father over later that day to take a closer look at my truck. Dad had worked on these trucks as a mechanic when he was in the army. Of course, I told him to come over any time he wanted. The father didn't say much, just asked a few questions, and then he climbed up and sat down in the driver's seat, touched the T-handles and gazed out the window. Clearly, he was remembering things from days long gone.
- On July 4th, I went to a powwow (Native American Indian fest) where I knew all veterans would be honored. I had the Deuce flagged out like a cruise ship on the day of departure. Many drivers on my way saluted, flashed headlights and honked their horns.
- I parked at a building supplies store when two boys on bicycles came by. One turns around, points at the Deuce and yells to his buddy, "Look at that. I bet that truck goes everywhere."
- When I was about to leave a parking lot, I noticed a man on foot on the sidewalk in front of me. He stopped and so did I. I don't know where he originally came from but I could tell from his looks and the way he walked that he was from some other country. He stood there with his head bowed and did not move. When he finally looked at me and the Deuce, I signed for him to go ahead. I could tell that he did not expect me to respect his right of way because he gave me a huge smile and instantly grew another inch or two and walked proudly across the exit road.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks