• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Amber headlights

reom34

Military Vehicles Magazine June 2007 pag 81

""Photographed in August 1979,this 10 ton ;123 driving out of th 577th motorpool is equipped with amber headlights"""

Amber headlights???? Whats is the mean of this headlights?.Was it only in hevy trucks?

Thanks

Westech

CPL
it was on alot of trucks in the european theater because of fog. dont see too many state side and try to find the amber ones... as kenny says (rec4x4) there as rare as heans teeth.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Amber headlights were used extensively in Vietnam about 1970 - not only on 10 tons, but on all wheeled vehicles.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

acetomatoco

RE: Lights

I sold about 10 pair of em at shows over the past few years... all gone now... However, you probably can still get em from the mfr.... was regular number with A after it... mayby www.bulbman.com has em...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a quick internet search and found them for under 30$ each ordering some in the morning. :D

Amber tinted headlights (not only bulbs) were common in Europe during the 50ies, 60ies and until recently mainly in France (seen also in Spain and on some italian cars of that era).

It is said that the french took this as a measure during ww2 to distinguish their vehicles from the germans at night... but this sounds like a legend to me. Others say that amber headlights were introduced in 1936 during a political reform in france, particular reason was that the driver is suppoed to have a better vision in fog and they are less blinding for opposing traffic.

Already searched for some amber headlights for the 2.5 ton over here, but couldn't find any yet.

Regards,
Mark

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adirondack Dodge Parts has them on their website. 28$. Have not gotten around to ordering them though. :oops:

vtdeucedriver

I got a set on the M52A2 and thanks to kenny I got another set for the M62. I should have one or 2 more as spares............good luck in your search. You better hope I or the GUN TRUCK guys dont find them 1st.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks