• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Amboid gearing and actual gear ratio

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In another post there was much discussion and theories on what was really going on. In that post I volunteered to take some measurements when I had my axles apart. Ok here are the results for the stock center section gearing.

test conditions, one tire on the ground to ensure the one wheel didn't cause error, so with that the rotations of the wheel end will be double what actual.

first thing I did was to find the center of the hub and affix a 360 degree protractor to it, and set up a pointer to indicate movement.

IMG_1166.jpg

Then an I marked the pinion. The I counter rotated the pinion opposite the direction I wanted to go and then turned it back to my mark to ensure I had all the back lash out and reset my zero. Then rotated the pinion 1 rotation or 360 degrees and the hub indicated 90 degrees movement.

IMG_1167.jpg

To to verify accuracy I did another rotation of the pinion and it indicated 180. Not pictured.

next I tore down the hub to get to the axle shaft and set up a similar arrangement

IMG_1168.jpg

Again made sure all backlash was out, set zero and did a rotation of the pinion.

IMG_1169.jpg

This time the axle shaft rotated 184 degrees.

I'll let all the math wizards do the math and figure out actual gear ratios for the standard gears. It started raining again, otherwise I would have the data for the high speed gear sets as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks