• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AMGeneral Tailgate logo decal

Autonomy_Lost

The early tailgates with the logo are embossed in the metal. I dont know of any decals available to match that look, but I havent looked. Maybe try ebay?

From what I understand, when humvees started being used in combat roles the government didnt want brand names on them, so they stopped putting AM General on the tailgates.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is anyone aware of someone selling the AM General tailgate letters in vinyl or something similar for my M998
Thank you
If you have the embossed letters on your tailgate - and a little time on your hands - paint the letters whatever color you have chosen. Several times. Don't be bashful... Three or four or five coats... Then paint the tailgate whatever color. Then let everything dry for a week or two. Then get (or make) yourself a sanding block. Sand just the letters until the color under the green show through. Then with some wet sand (somewhere between 1200 and 5000 grit) to polish the paint.

Otherwise, we definitely have a member here that sells cut vinyl letters. I bought some vinyl stuff from SixSpeedGraphix. I know there are others here as well.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early tailgates with the logo are embossed in the metal. I dont know of any decals available to match that look, but I havent looked. Maybe try ebay?

From what I understand, when humvees started being used in combat roles the government didnt want brand names on them, so they stopped putting AM General on the tailgates.
Thank you, always interesting facts about the M998, I did look at ebay, only H1 stuff available

signsup

I think I may have an extra “embossed” one.

I remember someone had letters in red white and blue? Can’t remember for the life of me who or where? I know someone did……
Well, this explains why I got a full set of vinyl markings for my Humvee salad project and it came with two 4 " stars for a USMC vehicle and my son mentioned he had seen stars on the tailgate in pics. My tail gate is embossed with AM General and I can't figure out where to put stars. I'm now reading that only the early Humvees had this embossed tailgate which makes sens as my starting point is a 1985 M998. So, I'll leave the stars off.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, this explains why I got a full set of vinyl markings for my Humvee salad project and it came with two 4 " stars for a USMC vehicle and my son mentioned he had seen stars on the tailgate in pics. My tail gate is embossed with AM General and I can't figure out where to put stars. I'm now reading that only the early Humvees had this embossed tailgate which makes sens as my starting point is a 1985 M998. So, I'll leave the stars off.
star denotes a CONUS US Army HMMWV, placed on the tailgate and Hood

signsup

This is our M998 marked for USMC. Son wanted some black accents that are not military correct, so black vinyl on black bumper would not be my first choice but it shows up OK on OD Green. If we were to highlight the AMGeneral logo, it would be in black for this truck.USMC tailgate.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know where i could get a wheel alignment done or checked at least.

In NW Indiana
Call your local tire shops that do alignments. I know some of the Les Schwab stores around here can do it, but not all of them have the correct equipment.
Also see if there are any 4WD shops around, as most of them can.

Most should have H1 Hummer in the system to use for reference.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know where i could get a wheel alignment done or checked at least.

In NW Indiana
Any shop that has a wide enough tire alignment jig (often a commercial shop) can do it. Note, for the sake of your wallet, toe is the only thing you should have adjusted on the rear. (Caster isn't adjustable, and camber requires physical shims to be added/subtracted and this is where it can get REALLY expensive!)

kurtvk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any shop that has a wide enough tire alignment jig (often a commercial shop) can do it. Note, for the sake of your wallet, toe is the only thing you should have adjusted on the rear. (Caster isn't adjustable, and camber requires physical shims to be added/subtracted and this is where it can get REALLY expensive!)
i haven't adjusted anything......just seems like front passenger tire is wearing down (evenly)

kurtvk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if there's a DIY method out there ... ?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was aligned at a local shop, they just set it up like an early H1 all the settings were already in their alignment machine. My fronts are nice and even, and camber was well within H1 specs. Rear wears a bit uneven (due to the camber), but as long as you rotate tires fairly often shouldn't be an issue.

(Shop and I compared the H1 specs to the military specs, and it seems other then military saying to adjust everything with the vehicle loaded to max GVW, they were more or less the same.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks