• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ammo can grill, amazing grill...

islandguydon

I had twa@ezdn.net
Build me a few Ammo Can Grills, Today I received the grills and decided to check out how well they worked. Pictured is the grill painted with hi heat flat black. Next is the parts Tim used to make the grill, He built a stainless steel bottom riser to keep the charcoal 2" off the bottom and above the rear air intake vent which he built a door baffle. Next I placed 9 charcoal brickets in the bottom, Took 10 mins to get hot. Then I placed the Stainless Steel grill cover the 5 Stainless Steel holding pins. There was a nice even heat across the grill. The steak took 4 minutes each side for medium well and I am impressed. Contact Tim and I am sure he can do the same for you.
Just thought I would share my experience with Tim's custom BBQ grill.

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

haha awesome...i have one of them big Mortar shell ammo cans thats about a foot and a half high or so....maybe ill turn it into one of these...since it aint doing any good to me sitting in my garage with nothing in it anyways...

islandguydon

Don't thank me, Thank Tim. I was amazed at the quality of the rivets and the ingenuity Tim has in his manufacturing skills, I got it hot at 5Pm, Its now 8:00Pm and is just now cooling down. The way he built it there was no warping on any side and the top rubber ring did not melt or even get that hot. These days the way things are I feel good supporting the local SS member that builds a quality product.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent idea. Now for a mod. Use a bigger can so you can put the rack down lower. Then you can close the lid and turn it into a smoker.

You might be able to do it with that can, I just can't tell from just the pics.

I can imagine one of those at Haspin smoking a pork tenderloin all day and then having supper. Take a few and I can see doing baked potatoes in one and heck, I might even be able to bake a couple of sticky buns in one.

derf

I hate to poop on the party but I'd be careful cooking in anything that may have CARC on it. I picked up a piece of extruded mesh from a buddy's shop to make a new part to hold the coal in my Portable Kitchen. After cutting I realized it had been painted. I soaked it down with some aircraft paint remover. The paint didn't budge. So, I did not use that part.

I've seen many ammo cans and not all have CARC on them, but I'm positive I have seen some with CARC.

When it comes to military surplus stuff, I would have ANYTHING that I was going to cook on or in or eat off of sand blasted and thoroughly cleaned.

I would not paint the inside of a grill with high heat or any other kind of paint. I would strip it, clean it, and wipe it down with vegetable oil to keep it from rusting.

CARC is mean stuff and you don't want to mess with it. Also, the military has used some other really mean stuff in the past for coatings. Chefs beware.

derf

Other than the coating issues I think that the grill in the OP is cool.

I have helped make grills from large military surplus engine shipping containers, so I know a little of what I speak. The insides were thoroughly sand blasted and we wiped them with veg oil and seasoned the insides kinda like you might season a cast iron skillet.
We used SS to make coal holders and grill racks. They were bigger than 55 gal drums, but not too much bigger.