• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AMMPS 1030 second unit repairs

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So i couldnt help myself and bought another 1030, inoperative. I filled with fluids but did not change filters, hooked up batteries, turned the disconnect on and it fired right up. 53hrs on the dcs and matches the analog meter. several bolts missing from the housing enclosure, but inside does not look to have been messed with. So closed the field and hooked up a space heater about 1400 watts. Ran well for a bit and then started pouring white smoke out exhaust and also will come out the dipstick. finger over the dipstick does not seem to be real pressure. i checked the TM and it says to check for Water in Fuel for white smoke. I came inside for a while to read and thought that made sense because the fuel cap was just hanging on. coming from North Carolina i know they have had a hurricane since this has probably been sitting there. So opened the fuel water seperator drain and very little came out. next decided to just run it for a while and as it ran the oil pressure kept getting lower and it started surging. i finally called it a night and will change out the filters tomorrow. Any other thoughts at this point are welcome. just getting into this thing. usually bolts missing indicate someone has been workikng on it, but i see no tool marks on top of the engine or fuel lines where an injector or anything would have been removed.

Chainbreaker

If no water in fuel detected & with significant white smoke out exhaust... a stuck injector, stuck piston rings or blown head gasket come to mind. Hope that's not the case... although a stuck injector should be an easier remedy! Wonder if your low oil pressure reading might be due to dilution of oil with diesel?

If possible, a video might help for additional troubleshooting thoughts... but I wouldn't suggest running it much... just briefly.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not familiar with this engine but, in any engine and especially a diesel, white smoke from exhaust and dipstick usually means blown head gasket or cracked block/head. Loss of compression so fuel does not ignite and goes wherever the gasket blew. In this case it sounds like it blew into an oil return area into the crankcase

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worked on the 1030 some more. changed fuel filters and i do believe i have water in the fuel, but i am still not convinced that is the only issue. unit does not over heat or get hot real fast so i am thinking head gasket is good, oil pressure starts out at 62psi and after about 10-15 minutes of run time slowly goes down to about 35

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I attached some display pics for comparison to yours. Just happened to run it today for testing a DCS.
(Ignore the 114 V AC in the first pic. I hadn't adjusted the voltage regulator yet)

My 1030 with ~ 50% load on it after running a minute or two.
Coolant temp 123F with 60 PSI Oil Pressure
1726437807033.png

After loading it up to near 100% and getting it up to temperature
Coolant temp was 203F with 56 PSI Oil Pressure
1726437932693.png

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I attached some display pics for comparison to yours. Just happened to run it today for testing a DCS.
(Ignore the 114 V AC in the first pic. I hadn't adjusted the voltage regulator yet)

My 1030 with ~ 50% load on it after running a minute or two.
Coolant temp 123F with 60 PSI Oil Pressure
View attachment 931619

After loading it up to near 100% and getting it up to temperature
Coolant temp was 203F with 56 PSI Oil Pressure
View attachment 931620
Thats on par for what my other 1030 does, still thinking this through

2Pbfeet

If it were me, since this is a unit with an unknown history, I would change the oil and oil filter. I would then drain the diesel, start with clean fuel, add a hefty dose of SeaFoam to the fuel, bleed the fuel lines to the injectors, and try again.

White smoke can mean a blown head gasket, bad fuel (e.g. water, poor cetane), air in the fuel line, or a blown/contaminated injector, or a bad valve. With electronic constant speed control, I think that it is sometimes harder to disentangle the underlying cause sometimes.

Good luck,

2Pbfeet

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it still blowing smoke out of the dipstick? Does that smoke smell like unburned fuel? A blown head gasket will only cause overheating if it blows into a coolant passage and even then it will over pressurize the coolant system very quickly and I have seen radiator caps literally blown off the radiator from the combustion pressure blowing into the coolant. Also have seen blown hoses and radiators.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had some time tonight to work on the unit. Drained fluids last night. So tonight i changed filters and filled fluids. ran unit with 1400 watt load for 30 minutes oil went down to 48psi started at 62, but temperatures were more normal range, burped system several time, engine stayed steady, never hunted hertz meter never left 60 and no steam out exhaust or dip stick. I will be putting more load on the unit tomorrow and running it longer, but i have a theory that maybe i had a plug in the coolant system and temp gauge was reading steam. i am much more hopefull now but still guarded. Also when i turned the valve on the fuel water seperator i got absolutely nothing tonight so might have had water in the fuel but i sure did not see any seperation after draining the fuel. BTW draining fuel and oil in these machines if painfully slow. if i have to do it again, i will definitely pump the fuel out of the fill opening