• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Amount to Raise M939 Cargo Bed to Clear 16.00 Tires @ Full Articulation, No Load

74M35A2

Looking for proper amount to raise M925A2 cargo bed when converting to 16.00 XZL tires. Would assume 2", since radius profile difference from 14.00 to 16.00 tire is 2", but looking for any known cases where a 2" raised bed still kissed a 16.00 tire in full articulation with no bed load (off-road parks, etc...). I don't want to raise bed more than necessary, so simple math says +2" so far. The factory wood isolator is dimensionally 1" thick already. I'd do this add by planning down 2 pressure treated 4x4 wood posts (dimensionally 3.5" square) down to 3" square , since the frame rail top width is 3". I could not plane the posts height, and just leave it as 3.5", but don't want to if not necessary.

Searched threads, found some info, but not specific. Would not mind a small rub, but don't want to chunk the tires. Easier to cut wood than metal. Thanks.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can (should) also weld a piece of 1/4” plate to the underside of the bed where the tires will rub. That way it’s smooth contact and no chunks taken out.

infidel got me

3.5 inches will work fine for what off-roading you do. We added a 4 inch lift on ours and it rubs very slightly- but Dean does test the limits of the 9 series!!!!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are things I have been telling you. Use steel, not wood. Although, Toby made the case far better than I did.

I did suggest 1” of wood and 3” of steel, which I still stand by. And I think he was eluding to a setup like I have below to stop side to side travel.

I built a dump trailer to haul sand and gravel from the quarry on my ranch to the house or wherever it’s needed.

On my dump trailer I used 2 pieces of 3x3x1/4” angle iron on each side that were welded on the bottom of the bed, at the front, pointing down like an arrow, as a slide, and a stop, that acted as guides to align the bed perfectly with the frame on the last couple inches of travel. I’m sure it’s standard, but I built mine with no plans, so, it just seemed like a good idea.

It sits solid on its frame.

I can draw you a picture.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only have two colors of crayons though, someone ate the rest. I’m sure you will get the idea though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks